Emoji from ios 5 to ios4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by barakrl, Jun 13, 2011.

1. barakrl macrumors newbie

My GF and I have been using emoji a lot (mostly for inside jokes) until I decided to install the beta build of iOS 5 on my iphone 4.
    Since then, whenever I send a emoji icons to her she receives them as black squares [just like the verizon to at&t issue].
    However, she can send them to me just fine. what is even weirder is that if she copy and pastes a "square" and sends it back to me, I receive the original icon just fine.

I'm using an iPhone 4 with iOS 5 and she's with a 3GS with iOS 4.1 (and Emoji Free! app that installed the emoji keyboard support).

we are both on the same carrier - Orange [israel].

and again, everything was fine before 5.

any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. transam7816 macrumors regular

I just discovered this like 10 minutes ago also. I sent the 4th smiley on the top after the letter t and it showed on her phone like an old school type smiley but on my phone it was fine. Prolly cuz of the different versions..really have no clue though

3. err404 macrumors 68020

The Unicode mapping has been changed significantly. I'm sure that this will be addressed before the official release.
    I had a lot if Unicode chars in my folder names (not just emoji) and the majority of then were altered in iOS5.

4. shandyman Suspended

i've been having this problem, but only with 1 friend, i have 2 on orange, one gets them fine, one gets the boxes, it's weird! i'm on orange too. they're both on iPhone 3Gs, not sure what version of iOS 4 they're on tho and all used Emoji free.

5. leda.ly macrumors newbie

I'm having this same problem, with my 3GS on iOS 4.1 and my friends on iOS 5.

A quick visit to the Apple website provided me with the reason behind the squares:
    Additional Information

Notes:
    - When sending emoji to non-iOS devices (other mobile phones, computers, or applications), the emoji may not appear as expected. See this article for more information.
    - When using iOS 4.3 or earlier, emoji is supported only on Japanese iPhone devices.
    Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4976

At the moment, I think the only solution is if we update our iOS firmwares, but that would involve re-jailbreaking!