emoji icon question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Bellamichelle, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Bellamichelle macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is not the right place, I'm new to this forum. I got the emoji icon app from the app store. I loaded and shows up on my phone's keypad when sending messages or sending email. However, when I send a text and include one of these emoji icons, a few things are happening. As far as I can tell, no one sees what I have pasted in, say a yellow round smile face with one eye winking. I've texted them and asked them what they see, and if they see anything, it is either the semi colon and the paren, or maybe a square box. When I text my SIL's phone, with as carrier, if I email him and just type in text, he gets it and can read it. If I include an emoji icon, the email is completely blank.

Is anyone else having this experience?

Does anyone know if this is my carrier, ATT not transmitting the necessary info for the icon to show? Or is it the other carriers not able to read what is being sent, to include the icon? I fully admit I do not know how this works so please don't flame me if everyone knows this, as I don't.

I sent an email to myself, via mail on my cell phone to my gmail account. The three different emoji emoticons I chose all came out as the same empty square box.

It is a nice way to add emotion to a text or email but if they don't work, I'd rather delete the app.

thank you in advance.

michelle
    iphone 4
    AT&T

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The SMS to email conversion doesn't work for AT&T. But SMS to SMS works just fine for all US carriers. Just remember, only other iOS based devices can see the icons.

3. Bellamichelle thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks Intell, so to be sure I understand, I think you are saying only other i items such as an iphone, or ipad, etc., can see the emoji icons. If so, what do you mean when you say "SMS to email conversion doesn't work for AT&T. But SMS to SMS works just fine for all US carriers"?

If the emoji icons only work to other iphones, is there another emoticon app that works across the different phones/carriers?

thank you,
    michelle
    iphone4

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I mis-understood the email part. The icons should show up fine if they are sent from and viewed on an iDevice. SMS to SMS means the icons should show up in text messages, no matter what carrier the sender and receiver (at least in the US).

5. Bellamichelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Intell, from your reply, is sound like if I am texting to any carrier the emoji icons should show up? Since they are not, how can I figure out where the issue is? As far as I can tell, no one who gets the text sees the colored smiley faces, or sad or whatever I include. some see a box, some see a semi colon, no one sees the smiles like we see on the compose page here in macrumors and what shows on my emoji keypad.

So they don't work for email at all?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They should work in both email and text messages. BUT the receiving device MUST run iOS 2.2 or higher. Android, Windows, and Mac OS X will only show them as little squares.