Emoji Skin Color Select Pop up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amcottre, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Not got the iPhone X, but am running 11.2 on the iPhone 6 Plus and also experience the same thing and don't think it's a bug.

I've noticed it seems to be happening on the emojis I've not used (afaik) in the past (or possibly recently). Once you select the skin tone once for that particular emoji, you won't get the pop-up selector anymore. Seems kinda annoying though and a backward step from Apple.

2. amcottre thread starter macrumors newbie

That’s the thing though. It’s emojis I use all the time. Even selecting it, once I close the keyboard and open it again it does it again the first click. I figured out something though. It only occurs when I have all the options turned on and diction off. If I have everything off or on (like the attached pic) it works normal. It’s weird but now that I fixed it (sort of) it bugs me less.

Attached Files:

3. amcottre thread starter macrumors newbie

And I confirmed it does it on my brother x as well so who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

I think this only happens the first time you use an individual emoji. Then it remembers what you picked. At least that’s been my experience in the past.

Is that not the case anymore?

5. amcottre thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that’s SUPPOSED to be the case but like I was saying above, when I have all the options on or off, it works normal. It’s when I have all the options on and diction off that it gets wonky. Like it resets my choice that I selected on the skin color.

6. Novecento macrumors member

Novecento

I just found this thread because the problem still occurs on iPhone 8 Plus with iOS 11.2.6
    It seems to be related to Dictation being enabled. Once you turn it off the selector for the skin tone pops up as long as the emoji is the first character to be typed. Very annoying for "1-char-emoji-replies" where you need that extra touch to select the skin tone of "thumbs up".

7. amcottre thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the exact issue I had. I had another thread somewhere that I posted the answer in, guess I forgot to here lol. I found out the same thing you did. I turned on "dictation" and bam, everything works like normal and I haven't had the issue again since. Kind of weird but I dont mind leaving dictation on because then the little mic icon balances the look of the keyboard on the X.