Employee discount customer BEWARE!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by miamiman21, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miamiman21 macrumors newbie

Well this don't make sense at all. I bought the iphone (no complaints with the phone). I came home, opened the box and plugged into laptop to activate. Received message that my employee discount will not be honored so I decided not to keep and went back to return very next day.

Well good luck when you go to return the phone, they will charge you 10% restocking fees. For what??? for hiding this!!!!! (not hidden if go to apple.com then you will find out but if you make sure to visit their site first and then go buy the phone - i don't think so....)

So if you have employee or any other discount on your service then think on it before you get iphone.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Was there a reason they said that the employee discount will not be honored

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

What kind of employee discount are you talking about? Are you an Apple or AT&T employee?

Or are you talking about a business-specific discount ... which Apple has said they won't honor? If I go to my employer-specific Apple store web page, the iPhone is full price, as is practically anything non-Mac related (5% off Macs and some software)

4. miamiman21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats the iphone/AT&T agreement. But it didn't says anywhere except when you plug it in with itunes and activate.

I get 15% off on my monthly service with ATT as part of agreement with my employer (Miami Aviation). So if I get iphone I loose 15% off on my monthly, well that discount totals upto $20/month

5. sitryd macrumors member

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/iphone-faqs.jsp

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

OF COURSE they thought..."Yeah, we gotta scam miamiman21 out of his hard earned money!!!" :rolleyes:

Read the terms and conditions and stop accusing everyone else for scamming you when it's really your ignorance that is making you pay the price. If you had read your contract, frequently asked questions, or done your research, you wouldn't be surprised. It's not the responsibility of Apple or AT&T to sit you down and give you a full out lecture of all the conditions of the contract you signed.

8. miamiman21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah like you read terms and conditions for everything you go out and buy. This is general awareness which should be informed to consumer esp. if you are buying directly from AT&T. I work hard for my money....you must be living off your mom or dad ---- MovieCutter.

9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I do if it means being locked into a contract for 2 years...

You earn hard for your money? Cool. I work hard for my money, full time job PLUS freelance, that's why I make sure I read contracts to make sure I know EXACTLY what I'm paying. Maybe you should grow up and do the same. And living of my mom and dad??? Hardly...

That's great, but you don't come out accusing companies of scamming you.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Don't start getting personal.

You should have checked prior to buying the phone. You didn't and it came back to bite you. No one else scammed you.

11. miamiman21 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Take responsibility for your actions. Take control of your money by reading CONTRACTS you sign up for. If you don't then you're just asking for it...

13. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Well, to get back on topic ... this isn't hidden. It's in the faqs and terms and conditions. And has been mentioned several times over the past few months.

The only other way this could be put "up front" is if they asked in the Apple/Online/AT&T stores "Are you planning on using this with an AT&T account that has an employee discount?" but then they would have to do the same for all the other restrictions.

It is really up to you to read the terms and conditions and do some research. I know it sucks for you, but you should have walked into this with your eyes open. There's no scam involved.

14. mr.666 macrumors member

yeah sux, i USED to have a corp discount thru my co. but... now its gone. I didnt know about this in advance but i went thru with the activation anyway. i like the way it says, you can loose your discount on this number with the iphone or start a new number w/o the discount. i.e. either way ya aint gettin it buddy. whatever eventually it will return after the hype.

15. miamiman21 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok I agree that I may be in fault here for not researching about this first. I have bought 3 phones in last 2 years and as per prev. experience I didn't thought this phone will be any different and take away my discounts. I was trying to make other peeps aware of this who might fall into this.

Peace out :)

16. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

i knew very well before buying my first iPhone that it wasn't eligible for my discount. not only did i read the FAQ about the phone, but i called customer service and asked. although the polite rep did say that if i have a shared plan with my discount, as long as a non-iPhone is the primary number you can still keep the discount. you didn't get scammed, you were just an uninformed buyer. and the restocking fee for an opened item is well known and the rep that sold you the phone should have told you about it. you have no right to complain, the answers were right there, you just didn't bother looking or asking about them.

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think we've gone as far as is necessary with this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.