Employee Discount

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RyanF2009, Jun 27, 2007.

1. RyanF2009 macrumors member

This thread is slightly related to the iPhone... I was just curious if the AT&T Corporate discount on AT&T Wireless applied to data as well? Are there any AT&T employees out there?

I applied for a job at AT&T earlier in the week, and was curious if I should wait to see if I get hired to get an iPhone... I know that the discount wouldn't apply right off the bat, but I guess I could hold off a couple of months if I could get a discounted rate on the phone and on the monthly charges.

Thanks!

Ryan :)

EDIT:: I guess I should clarify that I do realize that most companies discounts don't apply to data, but I noticed that someone said their discount through IBM included data too, so I wondered if this would apply with an AT&T discount, since it is AT&T we are talking about...

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

From AT&T's own website:

I realize that you're asking about a possible discount as an AT&T employee. If AT&T is anything like any other retailer (I've worked at different retail sales places before) the employees are often last to get a chance at products this juicy. And often? Discounts do NOT apply. :p Sorry.

Keep in mind, I don't know for sure, just my gut-instinct.

3. RyanF2009 thread starter macrumors member

Oh whoops :eek: I guess I should read like I tell everyone else to do :eek:

Thanks for the quick and accurate answer, devilot! :)

4. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

I dont believe that the quoted paragraph necessarily answers the question . Employee discount and corporate discounts arent the same thing. Also they wouldnt answer that type of question in public literature anyway. An employee account is a CONSUMER account, it has your name on it and it runs your credit to get it.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

As a former AT&T employee, we got worse deals than the general public. We received something like 5% off hardware, nothing off plans. In other words, we were paying 95% of full retail for any handset we wanted - no subsidy.

You'd be better off walking in off the street to another store and just buying one like the rest of us. At least they won't make you wait for it, then.

6. Punkwaffle macrumors regular

Punkwaffle

i can tell you with 100% certainty that NO ONE will get discounts on this. no at&t employees will get discounts on the iphone or service. in fact, employee rate plans and company owned unlimited phones will not be able to use iphones or have the $20 iphone data plan on the accounts.
    that means for thousands of employees who work very hard on making this a smooth launch and currently get phone service for free or nearly free, will have to shell out at least $60 a month and get a new number to use it just like everyone else. there are many employees who would pay the $499 or $599 to buy the device, but not too many that would incur a $60/month expense when they already get free or cheap service.
    also consider the fact that many stores will not have iphone demos and under NO CIRCUMSTANCE will an employee be allowed to open a customers iphone box. so the vendor really never gets to use the product. nifty.

7. rekiem macrumors newbie

AT&T employee discount

It amazes me how many people would post to a thread when they don't know what they are talking about just to say something or take a wild guess.

The 1st response although prompt and correct, is related to business accounts and not to employees. You will NOT find AT&T employee discount information on the internet but rather an intranet that you can access when you are assigned an employee ID (ATTID).

Us AT&T employees get the following:

20% off voice plans
    Unfortunately no discount for Data plans
    60% off retail price of cell phones, this has been applying to any new phones and PDAs, I bought an 8525 PDA when it came out for $200 (with no contracts) and the new blackberry curve was posted on the employee website right of the bat. I don't think the iPhone will be any different, how long it will take to post to our intranet is the only question.

I hope this helps and good luck!! :)

8. iHamish macrumors newbie

iHamish

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I am an AT&T employee (not associated with the wireless side of things). Our internal website had the official word yesterday. There will be no employee discounts for the iPhone itself or for the iPhone plans. In fact, if you have an existing employee discount, it will be removed as part of the iPhone registration process.

9. guitars1 macrumors newbie

AT&T iphone and plan discount

When purchasing a phone a with a new plan I mentioned that I was a Hughes Aircraft employee and received a 25% discount on the plan. You don't have to show an employee number. Try it. It worked for me... twice!