Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
USA
Does anybody know what kind of employee discount "geniuses" or any other Apple employee gets?
I'm just curious.

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don't remember where I heard it but I think its in the ballpark of 10%. There is also a once per year 20% hardware discount. Don't quote me on this though.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
25% hardware (pick one from either portables or desktop, subjected to random audit)

...and I think it's 15% (not sure) for friends/family off anything Apple (also, not quite sure if it applies to non-apple products/accessories) also subjected to random audit (though not really likely...)

NickM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
USA
25% hardware (pick one from either portables or desktop, subjected to random audit)

...and I think it's 15% (not sure) for friends/family off anything Apple (also, not quite sure if it applies to non-apple products/accessories) also subjected to random audit (though not really likely...)

What exactly do you mean by "random audit"?

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
What exactly do you mean by "random audit"?

It's stupid but Apple wants you to use their discount for yourself and not for anyone else, so once you purchased a computer (all done online), manager or someone can ask you to bring in your laptop just to make sure you ordered it for yourself. I mean that I could kind of understand for the 25% discount, that's quite a discount but for the 15% discount, I think it's dumb especially since 15% isn't something to brag about. I'm pretty sure there are specifics for the friends/family discount but I forgot them.

Yeoman

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2007
It's stupid but Apple wants you to use their discount for yourself and not for anyone else, so once you purchased a computer (all done online), manager or someone can ask you to bring in your laptop just to make sure you ordered it for yourself. I mean that I could kind of understand for the 25% discount, that's quite a discount but for the 15% discount, I think it's dumb especially since 15% isn't something to brag about. I'm pretty sure there are specifics for the friends/family discount but I forgot them.

Manager of what?

NickM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
USA
Ahh... I see.
Why would the ones for family/friends be under that, though?
Are you supposed to get it back from your family member/friend and bring it in? What do they do? See whose name is on it, generally inspect the computer's contents, etc?

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Ahh... I see.
Why would the ones for family/friends be under that, though?
Are you supposed to get it back from your family member/friend and bring it in? What do they do? See whose name is on it, generally inspect the computer's contents, etc?

Yeah something like that. I never seen it happen but those are the "rules" when it comes to discounts. The friends/family discount rule is dumb because there's no limit limit (if I remember correctly) like there is for the employee discount so it would be hard to audit that one friend who is no longer in the country for example. But again, I highly doubt that they audit friends/family. I think it's a way for them to say "hey we got discounts for your friends and family" but throw in that rule so you have doubts since you don't want to be in that trouble of getting that iPod you got your friend when they decide to audit you. It's just a way to manage how you use that discount.

efedor

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
They also offer military discounts of I think 6% and 5% to students... or is it the other way around!

NickM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
USA
Kinda sad/funny/great how the deal I got on eBay was better than all of the above :)

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
Apple employees get 1x 25% discount per year. They can get 15% on any purchase afterwards, I can't remember if there was a limit or not. The 25% is intended for employees and immediate family members only.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
no where near close to the 41% discount from the refurb store

I don't know what 41% percent you are talking about. Most things I see in the refurb store are in the ballpark of 10-20%. Aside from the older MBA which I think are slightly more discount than that.

Turkish

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2007
Employees get 25% on one system per year (desktop or laptop), 25% on a reasonable quantity of iPods, and 25% on Apple accessories.

They get three Family and Friends systems a year, which is 15%.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I don't know what 41% percent you are talking about. Most things I see in the refurb store are in the ballpark of 10-20%. Aside from the older MBA which I think are slightly more discount than that.

True but sometimes you get products that have a higher discount percentage...luckily i spotted one and promptly jumped on it

zorahk

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
North Korea
Everyone in here is right so far, but they're missing the 10% anytime discount.

So 25% once per year, 15% a few times per year, and 10% anytime.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
My neighbor's an Apple employee and he told me that they don't keep too great a watch on the small stuff like iPods and Mac minis and stuff like that. I'm sure they will keep better track of say, a Mac Pro, but he said they're pretty loose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.