Employee Purchase Program

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Markleshark, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Hello,

Does anyone know how the Employee Purchase Program Apple stores work? I work for Volvo, and have just found there is one for Volvo in the UK, meaning I can get almost £200 off my new mac pro. Do I just order as usual? I can prove I work for Volvo, not trying to scam Apple just never used this store before.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark.

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You need to check with your company if there's a special online Apple store you can use. The company I work for has a business store that we can use - it has a URL like http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/WebObjects/BusinessCustom?qprm=xxxxxx where employees can get discounts (e.g. $330 on the base Mac Pro octo)

I don't think you'll be able to claim the discount otherwise.

3. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, I have the store address, just wondering if I order off this store (where the prices are all listed including the discounts) as normal?

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

In that case, yes. Just order from the store and enjoy your discount.

5. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Hu-Rar.

Thanks very much. :D

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Thanks Markleshark, you've reminded me there's a UK Government discount store too!
    :D

7. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Anytime my friend. Had been deciding if I was going to drop that much on a new Pro, but this has made my mind up. :)

8. teabag1001 macrumors newbie

Can someone send me the link to the UK Government site.

I work in a government department and have never heard of it.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

done..
    :)

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Employee Purchase Program's rule. I saved ~£200 off my MP last year...then blew the savings on hard disks :p but still! :D

11. bartelby macrumors Core

That's my plan this year...

12. teabag1001 macrumors newbie

Cheers mate.

13. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I find that most of the time due to the 'taxing' nature of the Apple store or employye Apple store - it is still cheaper to go to a 'taxless' Amazon or MacMall or other reseller - once the tax is added in (on most discounted items) the reseller is cheaper still.

14. bartelby macrumors Core

AFAIK we don't have that type of thing in the UK.

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Well, you can buy Apple laptops at Dixons at major airports (Heathrow and Gatwick at least). No VAT, but only stock configurations...

16. bartelby macrumors Core

So not really an Amazon or MacMall type place then...

17. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No, I was more referring to the taxless nature. 15% VAT is a lot more than we get on our EPP store (maybe yours is more generous?)

18. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

I too have access to an employee store with discounts. I asked the local physical apple store whether they would honor the discount there as well, and they said as long as I show them my employee badge that they would. Not sure about tax.

19. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Then your employer's discount isn't high enough or your local sales tax rate is too high. I work for BT and pretty much every possible config I've come up with for a mini or iMac still ended up cheaper after adding Massachusetts sales tax (5%) than it would cost if I drove to New Hampshire and just bought it tax-free at an Apple Store (if I could even get the exact BTO options I want directly from the Apple Stores there). If I didn't want any BTO fanciness I would just go to an Apple Store in New Hampshire just for the "I have it NOW" feeling, but having taken my current Mini apart to upgrade the CPU from CD to C2D, I'm willing to pay extra to get my next one with 4 GB and not have to open it. Now if I had a company ID card and could get the discount on top of buying it tax-free in NH, then I'd go ahead and try that route and add the memory in myself.

20. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Example: My discount would net me a MacPro base config @ $2,299 instead of the $2,499 - $2,299 x 6% sales tax = $2,436.94 If I go to MacMall the price is $2,394 no tax, Amazon it is currently $2,494 no tax, but they usually throw a rebate on so then it comes out cheaper. So my discount on the new Pro is about 8% net 2 if you factor tax...

Of course that is all complicated with a $2,399 2008 2.8 Octo at B&H

21. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I Saved £100 off my MacBook Pro when my Sister used her NHS Discount for it (Im in Education, but its far easier to get the NHS Discount, which is the same value)

22. diman1881 macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried using their EPP discount in a store (NH)?

I was wondering if I could use the Emplyee discount in an actual store in NH (no sales tax)?

It would be a nice savings of ~$100

23. ampdigitl macrumors newbie

I'm wondering about that as well. I live in NC, so I would still be paying sales tax but I would rather have the instant gratification of buying in the store and still getting the discount, instead of stalking the UPS guy. LOL

24. JasonA macrumors member

I agree. I just went through this same scenario buying a MBP thru Apple Government Employee Store - cheaper to get it from MacMall or Amazon with no sales tax, than to buy a refurb (let alone a new unit) from Apple.

Ultimately, I ended up buying new off eBay and it worked out good.