Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

determinedforce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
Up until this morning I had an iPhone 5s with AT&T through my employer. I was let go, but still have the actual phone. A few hours later a co-worker texted me to both my personal number and the work number in the same message. I replied from my personal Google Voice number online. After several texts, my employer chimed in to tell us he was in the message as well. WTF? How is that done? He doesn't have my iCloud login. Now I'm wondering if he's been doing that all this time.

determinedforce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
??? Why would I do a restore from iTunes? iTunes has nothing to do with it. Nor do I have a backup as far as I know. I'm a Windows and Android person. I have since reset the phone to factory defaults.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Was it a group iMessage? There is no way I would contact a former employee without Management involved so did the sender somehow do it? Or is the device managed by the organization with a product such as MobileIron? It makes sense to me that the device is being managed.

determinedforce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
It was sent whatever the app is when you open it on your iPhone. I thought that was obvious. It was a co-worker and it happened within hours so to call me a former employee. You must be management. He was just wondering what happened and if I was OK so why would you even bring up management regardless? Just a concerned fellow human being. I do not know if it is managed by MobileIron. I've never heard of that. And if it HAS been managed by it, I've sent 1 or 2 risque texts to my girl when my personal phone was down and nothing was ever said.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
It was sent whatever the app is when you open it on your iPhone. I thought that was obvious. It was a co-worker and it happened within hours so to call me a former employee. You must be management. He was just wondering what happened and if I was OK so why would you even bring up management regardless? Just a concerned fellow human being. I do not know if it is managed by MobileIron. I've never heard of that. And if it HAS been managed by it, I've sent 1 or 2 risque texts to my girl when my personal phone was down and nothing was ever said.

It's OK if you are defensive about it. I was just giving my opinion and trying to help.

determinedforce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
It wasn't defensive, it was facts. I'm sorry if you can't tell the difference. Also, it STILL doesn't answer my original question so it seems you just were just hearing yourself talk. Nevermind.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Ok so you received an iMessage from your friend on your work phone. Was it a group message?

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
When i worked in the finance industry it was mandatory that every text and email message send from a company owned phone was recorded and stored. However, these messages were not routinely examined it typically involved a request from the law department to produce a record of all messages for a particular employee for a particular period.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It wasn't defensive, it was facts. I'm sorry if you can't tell the difference. Also, it STILL doesn't answer my original question so it seems you just were just hearing yourself talk. Nevermind.
Talking like this with people legitimately trying to help you is giving me some possible insight on why you were let go... (edit: someone beat me to it)

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
I don't know if it was so much defensive as it was flat out rude. With an attitude like that, it is probably not the first time you were "let go". I doubt it will be the last, either.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011

Whoa buddy....maybe if you stopped be rude and arrogant, you would see that he was guiding your to the answer to your question. But since you can't seem to do that, or a google search, I don't see why anyone else would want to help you here.

Vicrooloo

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2015
Can we get back on point and continue helping the guy. We have made the point already that his attitude was poor but it doesn't mean he still doesn't need help.

If you don't intend to help, then just keep out of the thread instead of posting more comments about situations you can not possibly know about. Yea OP was rude but its not a reason to be rude back and to derail the thread.

@OP, we need feedback here. Gonna need you to describe the message but not the actual details. I'm figuring that you were in a group message. Basically a conference call but via texts.
I don't think they have your login information and I don't think that they were spying on your every tap and website. You may be making this out to be bigger than what it is.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Can we get back on point and continue helping the guy. We have made the point already that his attitude was poor but it doesn't mean he still doesn't need help.

If you don't intend to help, then just keep out of the thread instead of posting more comments about situations you can not possibly know about. Yea OP was rude but its not a reason to be rude back and to derail the thread.

@OP, we need feedback here. Gonna need you to describe the message but not the actual details. I'm figuring that you were in a group message. Basically a conference call but via texts.
I don't think they have your login information and I don't think that they were spying on your every tap and website. You may be making this out to be bigger than what it is.

The issue is, the first poster in response to the OP gave the simplest and easiest answer. Do an iTunes restore without restoring from a backup. The OP's response to that wasn't accepting. Doing a restore and setting up as new guarantees that there is no 'spy' software and that their employer has no way to access the phone because its been completely wiped. Resetting to factory settings =/= iTunes restore. Resetting to factory settings just wipes the current OS, it doesn't remove and rewrite over the OS. This would also completely remove a group chat if one was created by mistake. Its hard to help someone that is being rude and not giving full details of what exactly occurred.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas

The OP is the one that derailed the thread, by being rude, and arrogant. It doesn't sound to me like he is open any suggestions or help, as that has already been tried, without sucess.

Vicrooloo

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2015
Its hard to help someone that is being rude and not giving full details of what exactly occurred.
It isn't hard to help someone who is belligerent it just takes some patience and time. The OP is freaking out right now that his ex-employer may have been spying on him since being let go. That's a scary thought and would put someone who doesn't know better on edge.

The OP is the one that derailed the thread, by being rude, and arrogant. It doesn't sound to me like he is open any suggestions or help, as that has already been tried, without success.
The OP didn't understand that a restore is different from a reset. There was more to his post than just insults. Either way the damage is done and OP has left upset at the community.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
It isn't hard to help someone who is belligerent it just takes some patience and time. The OP is freaking out right now that his ex-employer may have been spying on him/her since being let go. That's a scary thought and would put someone who doesn't know better on edge.
That may be so, but there is a better way of handling things. Thats all I'm trying to say.

Vicrooloo

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2015
That may be so, but there is a better way of handling things. Thats all I'm trying to say.
OP was rude but we shouldn't have been rude back. Now nothing gets done and there is no resolution.

The worst part is that the people throwing back at OP were not the same posters who were trying to help him. Those people jumped into this thread to insult. I can't know if they wanted to help but they should have kept their mouths shut or just PM'd OP.

But anyways, thank you for your time and have a great day. I hope we can do better as a community.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
The OP didn't understand that a restore is different from a reset. There was more to his post than just insults. Either way the damage is done and OP has left upset at the community.
The OP was given two different suggestions, and his replies to both were rude, arrogant, and combative. From his replies, it certainly doesn't appear that he was trying to understand anything. And if he has left, and is "upset at the community", he has no one to blame but himself.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
OP was rude but we shouldn't have been rude back. Now nothing gets done and there is no resolution.

The worst part is that the people throwing back at OP were not the same posters who were trying to help him. Those people jumped into this thread to insult. I can't know if they wanted to help but they should have kept their mouths shut or just PM'd OP.

But anyways, thank you for your time and have a great day. I hope we can do better as a community.
Making an observation or insight on the OP's attitude is not being rude. One person suggested taking a look at his attitude to avoid making the same negative mistakes going forward. NOT an insult (and definitely not an insult according to MR's ToS). Furthermore, the advice given in this thread the OP brushed aside. When subsequent users tried to clarify, the OP misunderstood that as well. I came in here to offer advice, but after reading the subsequent posts didn't feel a resolution could be achieved. OP was rude, defensive, and ignoring advice. There's only so much help we can give; the receiver has to be willing to listen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.