Employing a language translation database

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by ayojayjo, Apr 22, 2013.

1. ayojayjo macrumors newbie

I'm creating an app that helps the user type a paragraph in another language. When spelling errors appear, I'd like the app to recognize that an error has occurred when typing in the selected foreign language. I'd also like users to easily check the definitions and soundbyte pronunciations of words they are unfamiliar with. Is there a database I can leverage in order to do this? Do you have any other suggestions?

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Have you tried googling for a dictionary of words in a foreign language? I imagine finding an XML, CSV, or JSON file containing most* of the words from a given common language wouldn't be difficult...

Oh, why do you specify translation in the title? Do you actually want to have the app automate translations between languages? I think I would employ Google's Translation APIs for that... I imagine it'll cost you to use it so you'll have to pass on a reoccurring fee to your users.

* I say most because have you ever compared an unabridged dictionary to a normal one? Dang languages have a lot of obscure words that hardly a soul uses!