Emptied trash comes back

Discussion in 'macOS' started by davidinva, Apr 29, 2011.

1. davidinva macrumors 6502a

In 25 years of Mac use, this is a new one to me. I have a folder of 1350 jpegs that is a duplicate of another (all photos from camera cards for 2011) that I have placed in the trash and emptied four (the latest) times. Each time, the folder later reappears in the finder. The photos are in there and will open. I have used "Empty Trash" and "Secure Empty Trash" with the same result. Do I have Poltergeist or what?

Thanks.

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Backup your disk IMMEDIATELY!!! Then run Disk Utility and see if there are any disk problems. That sounds like some seriously funky disk problem to me.

3. willfurnell macrumors member

willfurnell

Do what the above poster said, but also try the commands found here for emptying the trash through Terminal. Be careful, and do the commands exactly how they are written, otherwise you could end up in more trouble.

4. davidinva, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011

davidinva thread starter macrumors 6502a

After the last empty of the trash (Secure Empty Trash), the folder and photos haven't reappeared yet. I ran Disk Utility (I have an external backup HD) and found no problems with my computer's hard drive. Will wait and see if the folder is waiting to surprise me. Thanks for your input.