Empty Apps folder.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hakume iFox, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Hakume iFox macrumors newbie

Hi, so I realized that my Home Apps folder is completely empty.
    Yet the Apps folder in the sidebar of the Finder window has everything.

Is this normal?
    If it's not, how do I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

2. msevild macrumors regular

What exactly do you mean by home apps folder? the only application folder the system will ever create is inside the Macintosh HD. Any other ones might have been created by third party programs or whoever is using the computer.

3. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

There are two Applications Folders on your mac. My Home Applications Folder contains 0 (zero) items. But my other Applications Folder which contains many items. This is completely normal.

4. Neotyguy40 macrumors regular

It's for user vs. admin things.

If you want to have an application for all users on a computer, then put the application in the Mac HD > Applications folder. If you just want it for one single user (such as admin applications), then just put it in Home > Applications.

5. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Yea its kind of confusing for Mac switchers, I didn't figure it out until a couple months down the road ;)

6. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

It must be really confusing because after 3.5 years I've never seen a Home > Applications folder. I'm with msevild, this folder can't be a standard one created by OS X, at least not on any machine that I've used.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

One reason for a Applications folder in your home directory is that you installed CrossOver at some point.

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I had this happen on my iMac last week. Force quit finder and then relaunch it.

9. Hakume iFox thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, spot on. I do in fact have CrossOver for TF2 :D . I just assumed the Apps folder in the Home directory was always there. x3

Thanks for the help guys. ^^

EDiT:
    Oh, another sort-of on-topic question...
    Say I remove the Apps folder in the Home directory, then for some reason I want it back and I make a new folder.
    Is there a way for me to set the new Applications folder icon to the default with the engraved image?...