Empty-handed with 4/24-5/8 Estimate

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by co2luv, Apr 25, 2015.

1. co2luv macrumors member

*42mm SS Black Classic 1GB Taptic Engine, EOD, Sacramento* (the 1GB TE...is a joke)

I was following this thread with complaint messages to Tim and Angela venting about being in the 4/24-5/8 window with no shipment yet. There are a lot of comments against these tactics that all say "get over it, that's what you accepted when you paid." Both sides are completely missing the main problem, as I see it.

At 11:59pm on 4/9, I was intending to do what I've done in the past: arrange for in-store pickup on launch day. We preorder because we get to be one of the first to hold the future in our hands.

At 12:02am, like all of you 4/24-5/8ers, I finally got to the Apple Store on my phone after refreshing on all of my devices. It was then that I was SHOCKED to see 4/24-5/8 as the shipping window with NO OPPORTUNITY to pick up in store. This, after following every piece of news on the Watch that I could get my hands on and seeing NOTHING to indicate the only option would be a two week shipping window. I wasted time researching and checking every other phone to see if it was different but fortunately still squeezed in a 4/24-5/8 ship time before it changed to 4-6 weeks.

The main problem is this: the 4/24 - 5/8 ship date should not have happened. I have been really mad about that date range since 12:02am 4/10, and am more so today, 10:13pm 4/25. Apple should have settled on ONE DAY, May 8. This two week window just guarantees a lot of people would be upset. AND WE ARE!

Was Apple trying to hit their "early Spring" delivery time and May 8th is more "mid-Spring"? Who knows, but in my letter to Tim and Angela, I would say let us know the shipping options before preorders begin and avoid shipping ranges at all costs. It would also be nice to know if I'm getting my watch next week or the week after. It would be amazing to know that I'm for sure getting it on, say, May 8. Certainty! We just want certainty.

And to all you critics, yes, I'm whining. :)

2. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

The real solution would have been this: Apple knew exactly how many of each configuration they had ready to go on 4/10 (X number). They should have simply allowed the first X preorders to be given the 4/24 date and then the remaining orders to be given the 5/8 date. Simple, easy, everyone is happy. Not sure why this was such a hard concept for :apple:.

3. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm not a fan. Or if it was a range, have it be a way smaller range. Not 2 weeks.

4. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

work:Oyu Tolgio, Home:LOS, From Scotland G15
    I thought No in store collections
    was well known to everyone

But I'm also amazed at the time frame, I ordered a spare Milanese :(strap 08:10 and its still in processing

5. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

I agree with what has been said here to far. So much frustration has been created by this new tactic that Apple has decided to use. Surely they understand that the majority of their customers have jobs and we have to plan accordingly to take time off from our jobs if we want to be able to sign for the delivery?

Makes it kind of difficult to do when all they can give us is a generic two week window. Now I have to try to predict when in that two week window I might be seeing it delivered and hope that nothing too important is happening at work that day so I can actually take it off. I'm not too fond of pre-signing for delivery but it looks like that is going to be my only option for this delivery.

Makes me think that I'm going to think twice about pre-ordering anything from Apple again if this is going to be their new strategy. Someone really dropped the ball on this one.

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Given the two week window - I would very much doubt that they knew.

Most of our watches were actually built after 10th.

7. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

No one seems to realize.. For the two week window not to happen they would have had to delay the launch for another week or two to build stock... So you would rather no one recieved the watch?

8. Shanghaichica, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

But how would that work if they didn't have enough stock to fulfill the first X amount of orders? And supposing they had sock to fulfill those orders made after the cutoff point. Should they not fulfill anymore orders until they can meet the first batch even if the watches are sitting there and ready to go?

9. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Supposedly they've been making the things since late February-early March. One would think they could build up a decent stockpile in two months.

10. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I suspect they did NOT know exactly how many of each would be ready for shipping on launch date. Just-in-time manufacturing is increasingly common these days, and they are dependent on a number of suppliers to create the final product, any of whom can miss their target production.

Giving a wider range of possible delivery dates lets them account for a particular watch part or band having a one or two day delay. I'm not saying this is particularly ideal situation from our point-of-view as consumers, but I'm not at all shocked by this given the logistics of making a sophisticated product like this with many possible combination of options.

11. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

work:Oyu Tolgio, Home:LOS, From Scotland G15
    In store collection should be an option.:mad:

I remember during the iphone 6+ I was working N-S so luckily I had the in store collection, why not the same for the watch, seriously why not

12. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

That's why I said "ready to go on 4/10" as in already made and waiting. If they miraculously make all the 5/8 watches by 4/23 then deliver those on 4/24 as well but at least they wouldn't have given anyone false hope.

13. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

Actually yes. As has been mentioned, I believe the biggest problem with this launch was the two week window for the first people to get their watch. It was the uncertainty and the comparing of times ordered and preparing to ship that created the frustration and anger.

If delaying the launch a week would have allowed for a more certain delivery date for the first wave, then absolutely yes, Apple should have waited.

14. martinctv macrumors regular

Thank you for starting this thread. I totally agree with you.

15. MuseumVisitor macrumors member

Apple have manipulated the info.
    They have hooked people on the idea of having 24/4 delivery for something that they did not make and do not have in stock - Pink 42mm.

There is a whole topic on this forum about people who never got their pink sport watch, and there is no one who came forward to say that they have received the pink model at all.
    Someone at Apple screwed up with the estimate of what would be a popular model. For example, there is plenty of availability of whites and blues, a if anyone would want to buy them now (16 days after I have ordered my pink one at 3:02), they can have it right away.

Personally, I will never again get up in the middle of a night and think that I should be able to experience the euphoria of being among the first ones to get a new product from Apple. No more participating in this kind of “excitement” for me. Apple should come forward and apologize for giving the public false predictions.