Empty macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iRezz, Dec 14, 2011.

1. iRezz, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

iRezz macrumors newbie

Hello, i've bouth a macbook pro from a guy that formatted the hard disk completely.

he didn't give me any disks or anything, just the macbook and the charger.

When is start up, it shows a gray folder with a question mark inside it.

i tried to boot with my iMac OSX with snow leopard without luck (and yes i pressed C)

i tried to boot with a downloaded version of snow leopard and one with lion without luck

any tips how i get this machine up and running?

-------

P.S.: its a 15" macbook pro, 2011

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Are you sure it's not stolen?

Bring it to an apple store, they should and will help you to reinstall your OS.

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Retail copy won't work on 2011, unless it is late enough to have 10.6.6 on it. Will need an OEM disk (if it exists, as if it is a late enough 2011 then they were Lion only). If it is pine that came with SL then you could call Apple and buy one? You could also swap the disk from another system to get it running.

5. iRezz thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in Denmark, so no app stores or support..

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

http://store.apple.com/dk

http://www.apple.com/dk/buy/

You can also check the warranty status online, with your serial number. Since it's a 2011 model, it still has warranty. In that case, give apple a phone call and explain your problem (or say that you "lost" your install discs). They will probably send you a new SL install disc for free or very little cost.

7. visim91 macrumors 6502

Some clarification please: did you boot using a homemade DVD on which you burned a copy of the downloaded OS?
    Ideally, that should always work, which is why I am confused as to why it did not.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Ideally, one wouldn't make a post advocating pirating software, which is why I am confused as to why you did.

9. visim91 macrumors 6502

Did I advocate? Nope, didn't think so. See, I won't even begin to presume the complexities of this person's life: how he chooses to obtain or finance his software needs or even how he came to obtain the laptop in the first place. No, I see a problem - and I want to fix it. Let's not pollute this person's problem with a discussion on pirated software or stolen hardware, instead let's just see what's wrong with this Mac.

10. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Ideally, one shouldn't assume things without knowing the entire story, which is why I am confused as to why you did.

------------------

It is weird that it wouldn't boot, did the dvd appear as a viable booting disc? Or did it go straight through to the question marked folder again?

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

My bad, I did not notice that OP said they had a downloaded copy of SL. Thus, visim91's comment sounded like advocacy to me...