Empty Memory Slot? System Profiler Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jason S., Feb 16, 2008.

1. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

I have a refurbished MacBook with 1GB of RAM. I was checking out System Profiler just now and noticed under Memory it appears that there is a 1GB in one slot and no memory in the other slot.

Can anybody confirm this for me? If this is the case, I might buy another stick sooner to fill that slot.

Thanks,
    Jason

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The easiest way to confirm this would be to open the memory door.

3. Jason S. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Heh, yes, I know. But I was hoping there was a simple way to tell from System Profiler. If not, I don't mind opening it, but I wanted to see if there was a way to tell from the software first.

Thanks for your reply though. :)

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd still check it one time before buying some RAM. It might be a dead slot.

6. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

If it had a stick that was working it would look like this (well not exactly like this because this is my eMac).

But have a look. Maybe the second stick is in there but a tiny bit loose or something. Or it is dead.

Attached Files:

7. jshbckr macrumors 6502

Just check the RAM quick. You never know, maybe they checked the "About this Mac" for the specs and saw 1GB of RAM, not realizing it was supposed to have 2 and one stick was bad.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

All the "new" refurbished MacBook's come with 1Gig of RAM. Normally in 2-512MB sticks. Apple sometimes just sticks in a single 1gig stick. Which is more than likely the case in the OP's computer.

The only refurbished Mac's that come with 2-1gig sticks are the Macbook Pro's so it's highly unlikely there's a bad stick in it.

But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a look.

If the OP had a bad stick in it there would more than likely be some faults popping up here and there.

9. Jason S. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well the left slot is indeed empty. But there's what looks like some sort of adhesive plastic that looks like it should be stuck to the bottom of the slot, but is sort of crinkled up. I'm pretty sure that it's supposed to be there, but not in the condition that it is in.

Guess I'll go ahead and get another stick then.

10. AndyFL macrumors regular

I got a 2.16 refurb back in October and was lucky enough to get a single 1GB stick as well. Will be adding a 2GB stick soon!