Empty RAM Slot in Mid 2009 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by portege911, Jul 15, 2011.

1. portege911 macrumors newbie

It was just recently that I noticed my MBP would have issues with Bank 1 showing as Empty when checking System Profiler. I would have to open up and reinsert the RAM and it would show up again, only for it to randomly disappear again, repeating the process all over again. I had a Boot Camp partition, and once I deleted that, then all my RAM reappeared and this worked for a while, with the RAM disappearing less frequently, but I reinstalled Windows on several occasions to have the RAM disappear again. I tried numerous combinations of RAM, including 2x2 GB and 2x4 GB, and by testing different RAM sticks in each slot, I assume the problem isn't with the RAM itself, but something else. I can run the computer with half the RAM available, but I would like access to all my memory. I don't know whether it's a problem with the hardware or only when having a Boot Camp partition, as it happens much more frequently with the latter scenario. Has anyone else experienced issues such as this, and would I be able to take it to the Apple Store to get it fixed? If this is a problem with the logic board itself, I know it can get quite costly to fix.

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It's the logic board. Are you sure that the ram is pushed into the ram slots completely?

3. portege911 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sure I pushed the RAM in completely, as I put enough pressure on it and it won't budge in any further. It does feel a bit loose, as I can take out the RAM quite easily, and it doesn't feel as "secure" as it I would expect it to be. I'm also thinking about cleaning out the slots with isopropyl alcohol and maybe finding a way to secure the top RAM slot so that the stick doesn't get loose as I've had instances where one RAM slot was reported as being empty even though both slots were filled when I checked the RAM after turning it on initially.