Empty Trash question.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by billyjoegibsonx, Sep 18, 2009.

1. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

Ever since i updated to Snow Leopard, i've been experiencing problems while emptying trash. It always comes up saying i need to securely delete the trash, and while it works fine sometimes, there are still times where theres hundreds upon hundreds or thousands upon thousands of files to be deleted from my trash. For example right now, i'm deleted a couple pictures and a program and its deleted 120,600 files!!! This obviously is going to take a longlonglong time, and its making my laptop heat up 77*C with 3700rpm fan! its only usually at 2000rpm. and theres a process named locum using up 115% of my cpu!

whats the deal with this! i had no problems with emptying trash in leopard! was always quick and simple, but no, now its taking up all this cpu, and draining my battery. isnt snow leopard to be more efficient ?

is there anyway to stop this from continuing ? is there a way i can stop SL using secure delete all the time?

thanks

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I actually had the same problem -- the "Empty Trash" was not included in the list, only "Secure Empty". The answer is so simple, I'm embarrassed to note that I did not check it out! Go to Preferences and unclick the "Use secure empty" checkbox. (Not at the mac right now, so can't remember exactly what tab it is under, but look for it -- its there). Once unclicked, you will have the option to empty or secure empty!

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Open Finder preferences -> Advanced -> and uncheck secure empty trash.

4. billyjoegibsonx thread starter macrumors 6502

i'm still learning new things about mac. moved to macintosh computers less than a year ago from windows so my apologies. i did feel rather embarrassed once i figured out how simple it was lol. that was my only problem with Snow Leopard. So i'm all happy with Snow Leopard now :) I guess as part of the upgraded security with Snow Leopard they have set it to automatically delete using "Secure Delete"

this thread should be closed now i think! :)