Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayeplussjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Okay..I went into finder preferences and made sure that empty trash securely was checked so that when I empty the trash it should always do so securely. Well...when I right click on the trash bin and click on empty trash it does not give me the status bar like it would usually do so when I open the trash bin and then click on "empty securely" Even if I just right click on the trash bin and empty trash that way shouldn't it empty the bin securely that way as well?

When I right click on empty trash am I just emptying trash normally?

nc7r

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2007
From the impression I get, even though I've got 'empty trash securely' ticked in finder preferences, it is taking considerably less time to empty the trash when right clicking the can and then choosing 'empty trash' then it is if I choose 'Secure empty trash' from the menu bar.

This leads me to believe it's not doing it securely.

I'll have a look in to it for you..

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Yes, it's definitely not emptying securely on right-click. I just deleted a 4 GB+ file in under a second. I always delete with command+shift+backspace, which definitely does a secure empty.

ayeplussjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah...I don't think it's emptying trash securely as well by right-clicking. I'll either just do command+shift+backspace or just open up trash and click on empty securely.

I just thought since empty trash securely was clicked in finder preferences that it would automatically empty securely when right-clicking the trash bin as well.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
The secure empty trash function is very buggy, on one of my computers, it freezes, and on another, it always reads ~40 files in the trash, even if there's only 1 in it. It then gets down to 5 items left to erase, where it hangs.

The best way to secure empty a file is to use the srm function in the terminal.

srm -m -v /file_location_here

-R will erase directories (and sparsebundle files, and applications)
-v shows the percentage complete.
-m is a 7 pass erase. can be replaced with -s for a single pass, -z for a zero out, and can be left out entirely for a 35 pass erase.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
I hate to reveal my ignorance here, but what is the difference between "empty trash securely" and just emptying the trash? I just did it "securely" and it took several seconds to do so for 18 small items. When I empty it the regular way, it is a snap. Which approach is best and why?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I hate to reveal my ignorance here, but what is the difference between "empty trash securely" and just emptying the trash? I just did it "securely" and it took several seconds to do so for 18 small items. When I empty it the regular way, it is a snap. Which approach is best and why?
Basically, when you empty the trash OS X just deletes the filename or apart of it to erase the record of it. Since the file is still on the disk if you know what you're doing you can retrieve the file as long as OS X has overwritten it with another file. When you empty the trash securely OS X erases the entire file.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Basically, when you empty the trash OS X just deletes the filename or apart of it to erase the record of it. Since the file is still on the disk if you know what you're doing you can retrieve the file as long as OS X has overwritten it with another file. When you empty the trash securely OS X erases the entire file.

To clarify, as far as the operating system is concerned the two actions are one and the same, but a moderately determined and resourceful individual can recover insecurely deleted files with little difficulty.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006

If it merely erases the names but not the contents of files, after awhile wouldn't this begin to take up a lot of space and eventually even overflow space on your hard drive? Also, if you do a regular erase can you later to a full (secure) erase to get rid of the remaining file contents?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
If it merely erases the names but not the contents of files, after awhile wouldn't this begin to take up a lot of space and eventually even overflow space on your hard drive?

No. QuarterSwede's description is somewhat simplified. When you normally empty the trash, it erases only the information the system uses to access the file on the drive. As far as the system is concerned, where the file was located is now blank space and can be overwritten as the need dictates. This phenomenon is known as data remanence.

Also, if you do a regular erase can you later to a full (secure) erase to get rid of the remaining file contents?

Yes. Open Disk Utility, select the hard drive partition in question (Macintosh HD, for example), go to the Erase page, and click Erase Free Space. It will take a while to do so, though, so in the end it's faster to securely empty the trash at the time of deletion.

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I remember reading when 10.3 came out that that version of Mac OS X and later would write random zeroes and ones to the sector of a hard drive where an erased file was located. Is this true, or is it only done when you Secure Empty Trash? If you don't SET, is the file only completely removed when you write new files to take its space or is it gone after a restart?

dma-007

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
srm (secure empty trash) Terminal Command Info?

The secure empty trash function is very buggy, on one of my computers, it freezes, and on another, it always reads ~40 files in the trash, even if there's only 1 in it. It then gets down to 5 items left to erase, where it hangs.

The best way to secure empty a file is to use the srm function in the terminal.

srm -m -v /file_location_here

-R will erase directories (and sparsebundle files, and applications)
-v shows the percentage complete.
-m is a 7 pass erase. can be replaced with -s for a single pass, -z for a zero out, and can be left out entirely for a 35 pass erase.

Can you explain how to enter the "file location" information please? Thanks :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.