Empty Trash Very Slow

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TimmyMN, Sep 6, 2013.

1. TimmyMN macrumors newbie

Hi I have the new 2013 Mac Book Air, also first time mac user... so I'm not sure if this is normal or not

When I go to empty my trash, it is VERY slow... last night I had about 13 .rar files and 2 .mkv files in it and it took about 20 mins for it to empty... is that normal ?? :confused:

I had the Mac Book Air for about a month now... and at first I thought the trash was getting hung up... so I got the Trash It app and be using it for about a month, it empty's the trash really fast.... However just for kicks, with only a few files in the trash, I decided to try to empty the trash with out using the app... and it said I have about 730 files in it ??? so I just let it run and it took over 2 hours for it to finish !! :confused:

So I'm guessing the Trash It app removes the files out of the trash... but doesn't erase them from the hard drive ??

I have a 256g SSD, so I try to keep unnecessary files off of it... if I put files in the trash, do I get my harddrive space back ?? or only after the trash is empty

Thanks all :)

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

when you put something in the trash, it does not delete the contents or the space. When you empty the trash, it deletes the space, but does not touch the contents of the file UNLESS you are using secure empty, which results in the OS overwriting the files. The secure empty is very slow compared to regular empty.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You only gain space back after you empty the trash.

Also, are you selecting "Empty Trash" or "Secure Empty Trash?"

4. TimmyMN, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013

TimmyMN thread starter macrumors newbie

Secure Empty Trash is the only option I have... doesn't matter if I right click on the trash can or if I just goto finder to empty the trash

Update...
    ok I found in the Finder preferences I had Secure Empty Trash turned on, that's why it was the only option... grr learning the mac hehe

thanks for all your comments

5. DCSmith707 macrumors newbie

Thanks

Its me, from the future. This helped me, so I wanted to say thanks.