Empty Trash won't delete particular files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DC Hurricane, Jan 7, 2010.

1. DC Hurricane macrumors member

When I empty my trash they all delete except 2 particular files. They have weird names with symbols in them. I don't know if it matters but when I press get info it says they are in the Windows XP .Trashes folder. I used a hidden file application to look for them and delete them but that didn't work. I can't drag them out the trash can. There is nothing showing in Windows XP in the recycle bin. I tried verifying the disk. Overall, nothing has worked at all and I've searched everywhere for an answer. Any other ideas?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Have you tried this in the Terminal?

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

or try holding down the Option key when emptying the Trash

4. DC Hurricane thread starter macrumors member

I've tried both of those with no luck. When I do the secure empty trash it says it's 6 things to delete even though I can only physically see 2 and then nothing changes.

5. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Stupid question - have you tried restarting and then try to do the two advices given earlier?

6. lpobsession2005 macrumors member

lmao i was litterally about to type this, starting EXACTLY the same way you did "Stupid question" haha thats funny. but no, really dude did you try that?

7. DC Hurricane thread starter macrumors member

Lol yes I've restarted and tried those things. I'll do it again because this is extremely frustrating and I'm just hoping some lucky thing will work

8. mstrze macrumors 68000

Since you rebooted, this is probably a moot point, but I have had success in the past in this situation by Force Quitting and restarting the Finder.

9. DC Hurricane thread starter macrumors member

Still no progress. I'm tempted to take it to the genius bar and see if they can figure it out but I doubt they can. Anybody else got any other suggestions?

10. DC Hurricane thread starter macrumors member

Wow I randomly fixed the problem. I opened Windows and clicked on a folder icon. I think I may have deleted it but sometimes Windows leaves folders laying around when you uninstall stuff. So it says it can't find it, and asks me do I want to remove it and I click yes and all of a sudden everything is gone.

11. DC Hurricane thread starter macrumors member

Ok this is getting really weird. When I use VMWare Fusion it's gone but I just shut down windows and it's back in my trash. I have no idea whats going on.