Emptying trash causes Kernal Panic

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mossme89, Dec 25, 2010.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

I'm on 10.6.5 and i'm having this issue where emptying the trash causes the computer to freeze up and that screen to pop up saying "reboot this mac". i believe that's called a kernal panic.

It all started when i deleted a bunch of files off my external drive. They were on the root and called something funky like 0e496c89593509841e58b591e46b47 and inside the folder was something called "update.exe". So i thought since it was an exe, it must have nothing to do with the mac, so i dropped them all into the trash along with some videos i don't need. But when i go to empty the trash, i get a kernal panic. It's happened 3 times so far and i can't restore the files (it gives me a -35 can't read/write error)

Any advice on how to solve this issue?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Hrm, yeah update.exe would have nothing to do with OSX, but you might not have only dropped that folder into the trash.

What folders are currently at the root of your drive?

3. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Here's a screenshot of my drive root:
    http://lh3.ggpht.com/_q1vvVcd9vkQ/T...s800/Screen shot 2010-12-25 at 5.11.42 PM.png

And of my trash:
    http://lh4.ggpht.com/_q1vvVcd9vkQ/T...s800/Screen shot 2010-12-25 at 5.14.24 PM.png

those new [date] all are folders. not sure why some are appearing as files. It's important to note that this is only an issue when i have the drive plugged in, as the files are on the drive. But i really don't want to have to delete the files on windows.

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Well, I'm assuming here, but is that drive NTFS? If so, you're deleting it via some third party software help as OSX can't write (delete) to an NTFS drive. Only read.

I'd say do it in windows, or update whatever software you're using to access that drive (if it is indeed NTFS).

5. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm actually using Paragon NTFS, which allows OSX to read & write on NTFS. It's worked before for writing & deleting, i just started to have issues when i deleted (or attempted to delete) those files.

But if i delete them in Windows, would they still show up in OSX as needing to be deleted? From what i could see, they're not actually on the drive, rather sort of stuck in a deleted "limbo" Jeez, that sounds like the plot to Inception lol.

6. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

No clue, but writing to NTFS from OSX is really hacky and not really supported. So if you're getting panics, it's because you're doing what you're doing.

In other words, don't do that, it's not intended to work as you're operating it.