Emptying trashcan with flash storage.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by esp.egelan, Jul 22, 2015.

1. esp.egelan macrumors newbie

esp.egelan

Hello.
    I just bought a new MacBook Pro with flash storage, I thought that with the flash storage files were actually deleted when you empty the trash can unlike with a regular HDD. But to my surprise you still have the option between simply emptying the trash can, or empty securely.

So can you still trace back old files that have been emptied? If not, whats the point of emptying securely?

Thanks!

2. Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

From what I understand, the method to recover data from SSDs is more complex (algorithm/software wise), but overall they act like regular HDDs, overwriting data only when space is needed. Emptying the trash tells the OS that the data is ready to be written over, but the data stays until it needs to be. Empty Securely, on the other hand, overwrites the "real" data with random data, until the random data needs to be re-written again, with "real" data.

If you think about it an SSD is basically a USB flash drive on steroids, and if you've ever accidentally deleted a file off your flash drive, you know it's quite easy for you to recover. All you need is a free recovery program, and a few minutes.

In short, if you really need to make sure the file is gone, empty securely. (Be prepared to wait quite a few minutes, depending on how much you have in your trash.) Otherwise, continue emptying the trash as normal.

3. sarah362 macrumors newbie

That's good isn't. Atleast user can give a thought before choosing b/w emptying and securely emptying the trash. The files deleted without any warning or message will surely shock users.

4. esp.egelan thread starter macrumors newbie

esp.egelan

I thought an SSD needed to totally get rid of a file, so that it wouldn't fill up and damage the memory cells.

Thank you for the reply Jack :)

5. Jack426, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015

Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

No problem!;) (I've actually been learning more about SSD/HDD's myself.) As for what you said above, I've never heard of that before. I did however find a nice (long, but descriptive) article about SSD's. Now, this article is from '09, but I would think that it's still relevant in terms of how SSD's work. Below, is a small excerpt about the deletion process. Here is the articles link, if you're interested in reading. (I might finish the whole article myself, in my spare time.) http://www.anandtech.com/show/2738/7

6. esp.egelan thread starter macrumors newbie

esp.egelan

Cool, thanks man :)