Emulate Mac OS 8 in Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by froggytreafrogg, Sep 8, 2008.

1. froggytreafrogg macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

Hi, just for the heck of it, I wanted to emulate Mac OS 8 on my OS X iMac. Don't know why. I looked around google for some emulators (like basilisk) but I couldn't get any to work. Could someone refer me to a site that has a emulator download and some clear instructions. Thanks. :apple:

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I have some info on my site that could help you out:
    www.redundantrobot.com

You'll have to find an OS 8 system folder though.

3. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

thanks for the response. i looked at you site and found out where to download basilisk ii but i couldn't get one that did anything. i have an install disk for os 8 but i can't get an emulator to run it. if its not too much trouble, you could you refer me to site that i could download basilisk (to run on mac os x) so that i may emulate mac os 8. thanks again.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Getting an emulator running requires a little different approach than just running the program and putting in a disk. Did you read my tutorial? And I'm not sure what you mean by you downloaded Basilisk and couldn't get "one" to do anything. Here's a link to the program:
    http://www.users.bigpond.com/pear_computers/BasiliskII.html

Then read my site on how to prepare the emulator to start and run your OS 8 disk.

EDIT: I generally feel that SheepShaver offers a better emulator experience.

5. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

ok, ill take some more look into that. again, thanks for your help.