emulation GPU ROMs

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rabidz7, Sep 1, 2013.

1. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

This winter I was going to build a custom gaming rig for 2-3k. Then I saw pretty colors, and thought why don't I get a custom ROM made for my 7970. I know that decompiling the x86 ROM is illegal, but what about getting a developer to build a ROM from scratch? Would it be possible to get a ROM made for 1-3k? What developers do that kind of work?
    I am assuming that it is possible to emulate windows in Linux, because OS X has no drivers, am I correct?

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

It's correct that you are assuming that, but that does not mean that your assumption is correct.

3. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

I think it is illegal to ask that type of job here.

You have to save more, old sport. Like USD $30,000. Instead of doing this or getting a rig, get either a PS4 or a Xbox One. If you have the 30,000 go for it.

4. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Where the hell did you get those prices from?

5. alexrmc92 macrumors regular

I don't even know why i reply to these...

But lets say you pay three grand to get a custom ROM made for your G5 PowerMac.

1. OS X will have no drivers so you have to use linux
    2. Linux drivers most likely haven't been compiled for PPC considering that card doesnt exist on PPC. So you will need to pay someone to write drivers.
    3. CISC (x86) does not emulate well at all on RISC (PPC), and vice versa. It will never be fast enough to run any games. Look at how far behind game console emulation is.
    4. Even if you emulated windows fast enough, you would have to figure out really good GPU emulation or some type of PCIe passthrough. If you chose PCIe passthrough you wouldn't need linux drivers, but you would need two video cards.

6. Wildy macrumors 6502

Why don't you save the money? Put it in a college fund and in five years' time you can be doing this stuff yourself.

7. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Linux has current GPU drivers on all architectures.

8. alexrmc92 macrumors regular

No it does not, AMD's and NVidia's official drivers are heavily x86 specific. The only PPC drivers available are only designed for the existing PPC graphics cards. Only community driven drivers designed for PPC work on PPC such as noveua

9. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

Not to mention that your G5's power supply might be in trouble if the graphics card alone needs ~314W of power when the maximum amount of power the whole PCI bays are rated to is 300W. You'd be already pushing the power supply to it's limit (and we all know how reliable are G5 PSUs), don't ever dream to try using the PCIe slots for anything else like SATA interfaces or PCIe SSDs (which in the end would be way more useful).

10. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

so much work to do, it is not going to be an easy job. He has to pay for the ROM and drivers. I don't think someone will take this job for only $3,000

On a previous thread, someone said almost the same.

11. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

If It works I will definitely be using an external.