Emulation linux

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RamCpu, Aug 18, 2013.

1. RamCpu macrumors member

Is there a linux distro dedicated just for emulating games that works with powerpc macs?

2. RamCpu thread starter macrumors member

3. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

What are you actually looking to do? There are plenty of emulators that run on Linux, though I haven't checked which are still putting out PowerPC binaries. There are gaming centric distros but they tend to pop up once and not get major updates. Check distrowatch.com but I wouldn't hold my breath looking for one that still runs on PowerPC, they mainly focus on current gaming pc hardware. I would just get a known dependable distro that runs on PowerPC and install what you want from there. There wold be no real advantage in having a distro with an emulator focus except that the emulators would be pre installed.

4. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

The best way to play the old PowerPC games on a PowerPC mac is with a PowerPC mac running OSX.

5. RamCpu thread starter macrumors member

looking for a distro that can be controlled by a controller instead of mouse and keyboard

6. Wildy macrumors 6502

Linux has native support for controllers built in (as part of X-org).

7. crewkid89, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013

crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

You don't need a distro specialized for that. Just get any distro and run xbmc you can run emulators and select roms from there. I have never done this but I have seen videos of it. XBMC does support controllers. Just setup the computer so XBMX automatically runs at startup.

Edit: here is a plugin for xbmc http://code.google.com/p/romcollectionbrowser/