Emulation software

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nickdag, Jun 18, 2012.

1. nickdag macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Has anyone used CrossOver? What do you think? Any other recommendations?

I've been using Parallels, but I've always find out surprisingly slow (slower than what everyone told me).

I don't do any gaming and just want to using productivity software for my translation work.

I want a simple solution which doesn't require any hacks, scripting, etc. I'm happy to continue with Parallels but came across CrossOver recently and thought I'd look into the emulation option.

Thanks much!

-nick

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you aren't happy with Parallels, you aren't likely to be pleased with Crossover

What exactly are you using it for, what programs, etc.

I use VMware Fusion and have alway been pleased with the performance I have gotten

3. nickdag thread starter macrumors newbie

makes sense

Sounds like good advice.

MS Office 2010
    SDL Studio 2011 (translation suite, quite advanced and complex)
    Standard browsers
    Abbyy FineReader (pdf conversion app)
    AnyCount (word-counting app)
    Evernote

Thanks,
    nick

4. laetusviator macrumors member

laetusviator

You could try VirtualBox, which is free, and see if it is any better.

I'm curious though, why are you using Evernote with Parallels instead of the native Mac version? Same thing with browsers - why run these in Parallels, when there are native Mac browsers?

Also, for OCR Abbyy sells a cut-down version of Finereader for Mac, although I don't know if that is powerful enough for your purposes.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

^^^
    I use the Windows browser in my VM at times as well for convenience

And the Windows version of Evernote has some capabilities missing from the Mac version
    Strike thru being one that I use often in marking things off

6. nickdag thread starter macrumors newbie

Evernote for Windows isn't really that necessary for me, but it's convenient to "transfer" text notes back and forth without causing duplication of files.

Even more handy is that I like to record my time (for billing or record purposes) that I use Windows. When I work, I try to isolate all my work stuff in Windows. I have a handy program that records my time in various applications, and I can grab the time in Parallels, and that's my billable / work time.

As for Abbyy, I specifically wanted the better version.

Thanks!

7. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

VirtualBox is just as slow as Parallels and Fusion (I've tried them all).

I use CrossOver XI too. It loads faster than the others. Uniquely, it doesn't require a copy of the Windows OS to work.

You can download a free trial version from code weaver.com. So, make your own mind up.

Even so, nothing beats using BootCamp to install Windows properly on your Mac.