Emulator controller recommendations

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by JayHD, Jun 30, 2011.

1. JayHD macrumors member

Hey guys

Could a few of you let me know what kinds of control options work best with NES/SNES emulators?

It seems most support bluetooth and can use Wii Remotes, but to have enough buttons for SNES games you would have to dongle a Wii Classic Controller, which seems unwieldy.

Has anyone been able to simply plug a USB gamepad into the camera connection kit dongle? How about a wired Xbox controller? Do some/all emulators support that?

Any coders out there - I challenge you to write a driver for jailbroken iPads that will let them work with the "Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows". First prize is my eternal thanks, plus a virtual hug.

And yes, I realize the icontrolpad would probably cost the same or less than any other suggestions.

That is all.

2. jesterscourt macrumors regular

Everyone that I know just does a Classic Pro controller -> Wiimote connected via BT.

3. JayHD thread starter macrumors member

I'll do the same. Bluetooth lag isn't noticeable, right?

4. jesterscourt macrumors regular

Not for what most people are going to be playing. Some bullet-eating SHUMPS might be slightly impacted, but no, not really...

5. DS3, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

DS3 macrumors 6502a

I saw on YouTube someone bought a datel wireless classic wii controller to not have to use a wii mote, and it worked for some emulators but not others.

I wonder if the n64 emulator will run significantly better on the iPad 2, that's what I'd be most interested in, I've had my fill of nes/snes on the psp which was such a great device for them and gba. I can live with touch controls for those, but n64 would need a real controller for much play.