Emulator for PC Games

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by laurenzo1989, Feb 11, 2012.

1. laurenzo1989 macrumors newbie

Hi i have currently just got a mac, but I have loads of pc games that won't play. sorry if this has been brought up before I am new too this site. Is there any emulators I can download free or any other programmes that will help me play them.

Thanks, from an apple lover :D

2. Pikkuroope macrumors member

You need windows for windows games. Two options:

1. Boot Camp
    Install Windows natively on your Mac. Choose OS X or Win during bootup. Better for gaming.

2. Virtualization
    Run Windows in its own window with Parallels or some other virtualization app.

3. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

In addition to parallels and fusion (both good products) VirtualBox is a free VM. Crossover for Games also will run many games and you don't need windows installed in a VM.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Bootcamp is the best option for games that are even somewhat demanding. Virtualization (a bit different than emulation as the OS has more hardware-level access) is pretty cool, and has advanced very far since it was introduced, but is still not up to snuff for 3D gaming.

5. laurenzo1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Meewee macrumors newbie

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

As far as emulators are concerned: There are some Windows emulators available that are essentially all based on Wine. For some games they work well, for some other games they work but with bugs and performance issues, and for quite a few games they don't work at all. Google for "crossover mac", "playonmac", "winebottler" or check portingteam.com if you're still interested.

A more stable solution is to install Windows 7 either inside a virtual machine or using bootcamp (see posts above). You will have to buy a copy of win7 for this.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

None of those are emulators, they're all compatibility layers. Windows emulators are abhorrently slow because you have to emulate all the hardware, and that's dumb because you already have said hardware, so why emulate it? It may be a small distinction, but an important one.

Virtualizing might be more stable than a compatibility layer, but still slower. Fine for 2D games, but 3D performance still sucks big time. Bootcamp is the best option, and the only viable one for games requiring decently high system specs.