emulators or what ever there called

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stoutboy1, Dec 3, 2007.

1. stoutboy1 macrumors regular

stoutboy1

Can anyone tell me if you can use a program like parallels on a mac so I can run internet explorer? I need it for my job... The real reason is that I need the active X. I would really appreciate any help, and I would be even happier if I can actually do it (without bootcamp that is).
    Thank you in advance.

:apple:

2. GregE macrumors 6502

I don't have my iMac yet but it's on the way from China. I've done lots of research and the short answer to your question is yes. You can use Parallels or VMware Fusion to allow you to run a copy of Microsoft OS (you will need to buy one if you don't own one) inside of the Mac OS. From what I read, I will probably be using VMware Fusion if I need to do this. There is currently a $20 rebate on Fusion.

Hope that helps

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

4. unknown.exe macrumors member

unknown.exe

I absolutely suggest you use crossover, not Q. Crosover allows you to run windows apps WITHOUT installing Windows just by clicking on them like regular apps! Only use Q if you have an Intel mac... a FAST one!!!:apple:

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Just out of interest i am currently installing XP under Q and we will see how it runs! :)

6. unknown.exe macrumors member

unknown.exe

If its on a PPC it wont do well... but if its on an intel it should work finely:):apple:

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yeah i am using a mac pro.

8. stoutboy1 thread starter macrumors regular

stoutboy1

intel

I have an intel mac 2.16 core 2 duo. I need to be able to run internet explorer so I can acess a web 2.0 site...

9. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Do you have any results to report yet?
    Thanks.

10. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That makes no sense. Most "web 2.0" sites, because of their heavy use of standards-compliant CSS, work much better in Firefox or Safari than in IE.

11. stoutboy1 thread starter macrumors regular

stoutboy1

Ok, sorry... I'm not sure why it wont work the support for the site said that it is a SaaS or web 2.0 website. Thats were I got that. The way they explained it to me is that I need to be able to have activeX so when I click on something it opens it up in the right program.

Anyway way you look at it I just have to run IE, will this be accomplished by running parallels 3.0?

If so on parallels web sit eit says that you can install XP but doesn't specify sp2 like most other so does that mean I can install original xp then download the updates?

Thanks

12. GregE macrumors 6502

I would think yes. This is off the Parallels datasheet.

[​IMG]

Looks like any version of Windows will work.

13. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I have it paused at the product key page while i search for it.....:(

14. stoutboy1 thread starter macrumors regular

stoutboy1

Update: Beware of parallels on Leopard

Parallels REALY sucks. That said it might have been something with my computer. I installed it and xp sp2 and when I was using it it was real slow and if I ever hoverd my mouse over one of the buttons on the outside edge of their window. It would permanantly freeze my computer. Guess what ended up happening.... Your right it crashed. Thank goodness for Time Machine:D:):p It didnt work flawlessly but I was able to recover everything I wanted to in a round about way.

My computer had a fresh install of Leopard 3 weeks ago so there wasnt a bunch of crap on it to mess with parallels. It might be to wussy a computer to run that program. I dont know.

imac 20 intel core2duo 2.16 2gb

So after all that crap does anyone know how smoothly Bootcamp works? I think thats probably the safest way to go from here but I would really like some feedback on that. (Im sure there is another forum for boot camp but if you read this and have insight, please share your thoughts or links)

Thanks

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Install XP in Bootcamp, Google "sliptreaming" if you only have a SP1 disk. Then use VM Ware Fusion from the BC partition. That's what I do, and it's fine. We use Parallels at work and it sucks hard.

In your case you could try Crossover, it has a free trial, but I've had issues with it.

16. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Doesn't run ActiveX.

Almost no one does anymore because it's such insecure and badly done, proprietary software.