Enabeling both wifi and cell data - battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kevin011, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Kevin011 macrumors newbie

So I just upgraded my cellphone from the HTC trophy to the iPhone and Verizon kicked me off my unlimited plan. Upset about that, bad customer support if you ask me. But anyway, i'm trying to think positively and come up with solutions to use my new phone without having to worry about exceeding 2gb of data. Generally I'm either at my apartment or around campus at my school, which has wifi for students. So I want to utilize the wifi over the 3g data connection for most cases, I just have a couple questions.

If I leave the wifi on, will it continue to drain more power than the 3g does while the phone is in standby?
    If I turn both wifi and 3g on, will wifi go into standby when I'm out of range of wifi and vise-versa? I'll only be connecting to two wifi networks so I'm not sure if the wifi might keeping trying to connect to other in-range networks that I don't want it to. Or will it only search for a new network when I ask it to?

In other words, is there any benefit to going into settings and turning off wifi when I want 3g and turning off 3g when I want wifi?

2. matttye macrumors 601

I leave wifi on all the time and it hardly drains any battery. About 1% per hour with the screen off the whole time, obviously more in use.

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Don't waste your time turning things off. It's not that much of a power drain.

4. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

The iPhone reverts to cellular data after the screen is off for a certain amount of time. The thing you'll notice is that vs Android you don't need to do a ton of configuration to get the best out of an iPhone - one reason why I switched.