Enable Access for Assistive Devices?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by M@lew, Jun 8, 2007.

1. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Under the PreferencePane Universal Access there is this setting. I have read that this is what causes exposé to not work while Parallels is active and I wish to disable it. What does it do though? I think it's something about Applescripts, but I'm not sure. :confused:

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=11457

3. M@lew thread starter macrumors 68000

M@lew

I know that's how you fix it, I'm asking what un-checking it does though.

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Well, thats is why they have a forum for such questions. Just ask right there in that thread I posted for you.

5. M@lew thread starter macrumors 68000

M@lew

Couldn't that also be answered here to, as it's more a Mac question?

6. Master-D macrumors member

7. Master-D macrumors member

Not much info out there that I could find. A reference on an application site raised an eyebrow though. It seemingly allows applications to act as keyloggers... Pretty obscure way to hide a security feature, and makes you wonder why the software would need it, although in TextExpander's case it seems fairly benevolent.

Is TextExpander a keylogger? Is TextExpander a safety risk? Are you spying on me?
    While TextExpander does indeed log keystrokes, these keystrokes are never saved or sent anywhere. Moreover, TextExpander empties its cache whenever you type the spacebar. Thus, TextExpander hardly ever remembers more than 20 characters of what you most recently typed. Using TextExpander does not compromise your privacy.

Why does TextExpander force me to enable access for assistive devices?
    For privacy reasons (see above), Mac OS X does not allow third-party applications (such as TextExpander) to log keystrokes, unless access for assistive devices is turned on.