General Enable AirPlay Mirroring on for pre-A5 devices?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 03 Hodag, Feb 2, 2012.

1. 03 Hodag macrumors member

Is anyone working on a tweak to enable AirPlay Mirroring on non-A5 iDevices? Now that the 4S and the iPad 2 have been jailbroken, can't this functionality be brought to our older devices with a Cydia tweak? I suspect there would be some demand for this but despite scouring the Internet, no one seems to be seriously working on this. Not a hacker myself, I would have no idea how to do it and I'd really like to use AirPlay mirroring with my jailbroken iPod touch 4g. Help!

2. The General macrumors 601

Airplay mirroring requires an A5 processor. It's not just a software limitation. It is not possible without an A5 processor.

3. 03 Hodag thread starter macrumors member

Obviously the A5 processor is faster and more capable but what is it about Airplay Mirroring that makes it exclusively functional to the A5? If an Airplay Mirroring tweak was developed for say, just the A4 devices, wouldn't there just be a bit more lag time?

4. d0vr macrumors 6502a

Can anyone confirm this or not? I too am interested.

5. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

That's wrong.
    It's a software limitation, as the mirroring process involves using encryption keys for the transmitting.

Somebody apparently got it working, but didn't release enough information on it.
    Smells like fake I know, but oh well...

Glassed Silver:mac

6. Ramonn macrumors member

Any updates?

I would buy an Apple TV today if I can Airplay my iPhone 4.

Otherwise I'll just have to wait for the new iPhone...:(

7. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

I'm in the same boat as you haha
    Well, didn't really look for updates, but I bet the moment this gets published it's on jailbreaking sites everywhere around and Youtube will be stuffed with it in your recommendations if you usually watch jb videos so Youtube's algorithm knows you're into that sorta thing. :)

When my fiancée got her iPhone 4s I bothered, now I still would like to have it of course, but the new iPhone being around the corner and me renewing my contract by then I don't feel a lot of pressure to jump through hoops for getting it a little earlier anymore! :p

After all I don't have an Apple TV but would use Air Server instead. A great tool if you ask me, although a little buggy at times.
    I recommend anyone interested in combining the beauty of Air Play (audio and video) with their big desktop screens to go for it. :)

Oh and in Cydia there is even Air Server for iOS, so you can mirror to iOS, too.
    Theoretically, this should enable you to mirror iPhones to iPads, quite nice if you say want to lug just one device around the house and check your SMS/whatevers via iPad.
    That's just one usage scenario, but certainly I adore this little application.

Glassed Silver:mac

8. Ramonn, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012

Ramonn macrumors member

Same here. Need to wait for the new iPhone...

All I want is to mirror my i4 to my HD TV so AirServer is no good at all but I see where you're coming from.

AirServer is no good because I would have to connect my Laptop to my TV. I would rather use Displayout + Composite cable...

Probably the "new iPhone" and Apple TV 3...

Thanks for sharing.

9. indiekiduk macrumors 6502

Someone said that the A5 supports hardware h264 encoding whereas the A4 does not, however the ipod touch 4g can record videos with the camera so that can't be true.