Enable Battery Percent Meter??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Winter Charm, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Hello. I was browsing around on Cnet, when i noticed that their pictures of the iPhone 3Gs contained a percentage indicator beside the battery icon. I was wondering if there is any way to activate this for the iPod Touch 2g (without a jailbreak)

I am running 3.0

Here's the shot:
    http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20090628/photo_270x404.jpg

Thanks, and any help is appreciated.

2. celticpride678

3. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

as an fyi, on the iPhone you enable it via:

Settings > General > Usage > Battery Percentage

as the Touch doesn't have the "Usage" option.. at least visible.. there is no way to activate it under normal usage.

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

It is only available on the 3GS without jailbreak.

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Would it really have killed Apple to throw something useful into 3.0 like that wee little script? Guess it'll show up when it's time to pony up $10 again for 4.0.:rolleyes:

6. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I would guess that it is a hardware issue. The battery on the 3G probably does not report its charge accurately enough to make a percentage indicator worthwile (in Apple's view).

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ OK that's a silly theory. I can understand not getting video but the % deal only being a 3Gs is retarded.

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I understand your trying to put some reason into that theory but please that is a pretty weak theory. Really Ive seen lesser devices have that feature.....

9. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

Personally I wonder how hard it really is to impliment where you can just press the battery meter area of the screen at it can just show the % as opposed to having to enable/disable it via a menu.

10. DanielNTX macrumors 6502

It's accurate. It does know how to change the battery symbol already. You don't have to jailbreak it to enable it. You can decrypt the IPSW. Mount the decompressed DMG. Modify the correct plist and rebuild the IPSW. Then flash your device. It's faster to jailbreak though.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Or... we could forget this and live our lives. You're spending some much time and effort to get something relatively small (possible) return. Just like the MBA screen lines, 1.5/3.0 SATA, and chiclet keyboards. Get over it. We can all live our lives without battery meters.

I do think that Apple should/could have done that, but if they didn't so what? Microsoft doesn't push out quality software or hardware and people still buy/use them.

12. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

We could also live without iPod Touch's, and computers but there nice to have right? We are not complaining, this is a civil discussion and has not escalated to anymore than just that. I don't think its your place to say that......

13. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's certainly written into every version of the 3.0 software, regardless of whether it's an iPhone or iPod touch. I was jailbroken before 3.0 and had the battery percentage enabled via BossPrefs. With this you had to tap the battery meter to get the percentage, then tap it again to go back to the battery icon. When the iPod backs up, for some reason it backs up the data in the status bar (which includes anything to do with the battery icon) - when I updated to 3.0 and restored from backup, it now shows the official Apple battery percentage meter - NOT the old jailbreak one where I had to tap the battery (in fact, that no longer works at all). Despite it showing up I have no 'Usage' option in Settings to turn it off. It's actually quite accurate, and is quite a nifty feature, but obviously if you were not jailbroken prior to 3.0 you won't be able to get it. It's definitely more then capable of showing it, its just Apple being greedy.

14. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

This proves my theory anyway.... They certainly could have thrown us at least this bone with 3.0. Bluetooth is worthless. Shake to shuffle... Gimme a break. Parental controls.:rolleyes: Now knowing exactly where your battery is at is very worthwhile and something I would be happy about forking over my $'s for.

15. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I was just speculating about it being a hardware issue. The fact that other software and devices have this feature doesn't mean that it meets Apple's criteria for accuracy. Maybe it's just a different battery for the 3GS, and Apple hasn't gotten around to writing the software yet for the 3G.

However, the alternate theory I see on this forum is that Apple is withholding this feature to "force" you to upgrade to the 3GS. Really? For a battery meter? :confused: Talk about a weak theory.

16. al1cre macrumors member

Seems unlikely that it's a hardware issue, particularly since the people that have jailbroken their Touch and have this feature seem to find it reasonably accurate. It might be something like adherence to a UI standard of not having an menu entry with one option or something like that (the others being for the iPhone.... Note... I didn't go back and check the existing menu).

Just a thought.

17. xxundrclssherox macrumors newbie

Enable Battery Percent Meter

I know this forum is pretty dead, but somehow when I jailbroke my iTouch before it broke and I got a new one I had the percentage indicator turned on and it saved as one of my preferences in my backup. So when I got a new iTouch it synced to my backup and now it shows the percentage indicator

18. CactusChef macrumors member

I know your guess is as good as mine but do you think the 3rd generation touch will have this feature? I think and hope it will; seems like something simple that could be added.... I'm surprised it was left out on the standard iPhone.

19. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

It's certainly not a hardware thing. I have a first gen iPod touch and I jailbroke it and got the usage menu up and it worked just fine, this is just one of Apple's stupid restrictions, so it probably won't be on the new iPod touch either.

20. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

21. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

so wait.. all i have to do is backup the existing non JB'd 3.0 firmware and then jailbreak, enable the % with bossprefs, and restore my NON JB'd Backup?? - that sounds quite easy.... i might even make a video tutorial :D

22. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

So, can you give me specific instructions as to the backup/restore thing? i get how to jailbreak... but where will i save my next sync and backup? and how will i restore?

I am already running 3.0 - if i jailbreak, then un JB, and restore from my "backup" Will that backup be the one i synced when i was already jailbroken? if so, how would i revert, then change out the backup in iTunes and will it work?? Please someone help me! when 3.0 was annoucned the only reason i got it was for the battery percentage... and now im really disappointed.. but i dont want a jailbreak either... i just want my battery percentage...

23. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The backup is the one that iTunes automatically performs every time you sync your iPod.

Here's what I'd do:

1 - Jailbreak your iPod using redsn0w.
    2 - Download SBSettings using Cydia.
    3 - After it's installed, swipe across the bar at the top of the screen and select "More".
    4 - Find the 'Numeric Battery' toggle and make sure it's set to 'On'.
    5 - Now, just keep it jailbroken for a couple days just to be on the safe side, and make sure to sync your iPod often just so you know it's been backed up.
    6 - Restore your iPod via iTunes. Make sure it restores from the latest backup.
    7 - Your iPod will now be totally unjailbroken and once again on the 'legit' firmware. However, the battery percentage meter should be retained.

24. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

So basically youre saying that iTunes will not save te data for jailbroken apps or cydia? :) and thanks because that cleared it up :D