Enable full path + filename in Finder and "Open Filename" dialogs??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by falloutphil, Apr 12, 2009.

1. falloutphil macrumors newbie

Hi,

Anyone know if it is possible to enter in a full path + filename rather than having to click through the GUI. This happens in both Finder and in 'Open Filename' dialogs in most applications.

I know about the 'Go To Folder' option, but that is only for folders. If I want to enter a fully qualified absolute path + filename (rather like in Windows Explorer or any given *nix distro) there doesn't seem to be a way to do this.

Whilst there are ways around this in Finder, it can actually lead to serious problems in some apps. Case in point - Open Office's Calc. You can't always 'see' the filename you want to load, so the GUI is useless. Say for example if it is a 'Web Page Query' and thus there is no way of loading up such 'file' other than to give the fully qualified URL. This works in all other operating systems because there is a "Filename:" text box, but the same dialog on Mac OS doesn't come up with the goods!

I'm hoping this is just 'hidden' from novice users so that they don't have to learn about directory structures to use their computer. I find it hard to believe that Mac would deny this very useful feature to 'power' users (whatever they are :))..... so could anyone enlighten me?

Cheers!

Phil.

2. imagladry macrumors newbie

Yep there is

Well, this probably won't help the original poster as it is from April, 2009, but in case someone else runs into this... Command-shift-G while in the File Open/Save Dialogs allow for the entering of a full path.