Enable Guest - Windows File Sharing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by semaja2, Jun 9, 2007.

1. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

For the life of me im unable to enable the guest access for windows file sharing under OSX, ive added shares and told it to allow guests but it just wont budge.

Has anyone had success in allowing guests access windows file sharing?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Well, OSX only allows a user to sign in and to get access to only their files. There is no real guess access other than to drop files off to a certain user. There are programs such as Swift Share http://www.koingosw.com/products/swiftshare.php though that allow for more than user folders.

3. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It should be possible because it is just samba, all those other products which i have also tried, simply edit the config files and restart the service

Unless Apple has crippled samba which i doubt, im really lost on why i can not enable guest access.

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Maybe there is no guess account. And yes, Samba is probably setup very specific by Apple and thus why some security updates that have been out for Samba for over a year still haven't been applied to Mac OS X. If you want, download and compile the latest from Samba, I know you can update it yourself.