Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darthjames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
I have a late Macbook Pro 2013 and it appears that Hardware Virtualization is disabled - And I cannot for the heck of it figure out how to enable it.

I do alot of development on Windows, and use virtual machines and hyper-v alot. I'd love to be able to do this reliably on my laptop

I know about the 'hack' of installing parallels, running it, then rebooting without powering off the machine, but I'm curious as to what API call or what they are doing to turn it on temporarily. I just want it on all the time. It's just a feature of the CPU

Anyone know how to turn this on permanently?

CJhQzPB

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What error are you getting running Parallels and why do you think the hardware virtualization on your MBP is disabled :confused:

There's really no way to turn it off or on since its all been set up by apple within th EFI, i.e., no bios settings.

To date, running VMWare, I've never come across an error that would indicate that virtualization was disabled on the Mac.

darthjames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
What error are you getting running Parallels and why do you think the hardware virtualization on your MBP is disabled :confused:

There's really no way to turn it off or on since its all been set up by apple within th EFI, i.e., no bios settings.

To date, running VMWare, I've never come across an error that would indicate that virtualization was disabled on the Mac.

It's not Parallels or VMWare on OSX. It's the fact when the machine turns off, and you boot Windows, Hardware Virtualization shows as disabled. This is a BIOS level setting, and Parallels or VMWare are doing some magic in OSX to turn it on. I just want it permanently turned on.

The 'Hack' to get Hyper-V working is to run Parallels, *restart the computer without powering it off' and boot into windows. That works great, however that is a pain in the ass. I just want it on all the time.

Is there a way to poke around the EFI bios and toggle it permanently?

There is no reason to have it off by default FWIW. Except maybe power savings but I am willing to sacrifice a few minutes of power vs having to 'rub the dead chicken' to get this to work reliably.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It's not Parallels or VMWare on OSX. It's the fact when the machine turns off, and you boot Windows, Hardware Virtualization shows as disabled..
Oh, I see. Odd I guess based on what the link provided by leman, there is a problem. The url does have a work around which seems to work, hopefully it works for you

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I have a late Macbook Pro 2013 and it appears that Hardware Virtualization is disabled - And I cannot for the heck of it figure out how to enable it.

I do alot of development on Windows, and use virtual machines and hyper-v alot. I'd love to be able to do this reliably on my laptop

I know about the 'hack' of installing parallels, running it, then rebooting without powering off the machine, but I'm curious as to what API call or what they are doing to turn it on temporarily. I just want it on all the time. It's just a feature of the CPU

Anyone know how to turn this on permanently?

In VMware, if I'm not mistaken, I think you can enable hardware virtualisation deep in a VM's settings.

EDIT: Ignore my reply, just read that you're trying to reverse-engineer the EFI to enable hardware virtualisation.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-20 at 7.37.31.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-20 at 7.37.31.png
    109.7 KB · Views: 794
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.