Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
I just acquired a Bondi Blue iMac G3, the original model without firewire. It's such a cool retro computer with files on the OS dating back to 1999, which is awesome.

Anyway, having absolutely no knowledge of OS 9, I plugged in an ethernet cable but have no idea how to get it to actually access the internet. How would I get this computer online?

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Open up the TCP/IP control panel and select Ethernet as your connection method. Then go ahead and set Ethernet in the Appletalk control panel too. That should be about it. OS 9 was built as an internet OS, so there should also be an internet setup assistant on there somewhere. Use the last build of Mozilla or Netscape 7 for Mac.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
In TCP/IP control panel, all that's present is PPP slot 0, AOL Link, AOL Link Enhanded, and AppleTalk (MacIP). Selecting AppleTalk has finder pop up saying "TCP/IP cannot run over AppleTalk because AppleTalk is inactive"

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
In TCP/IP control panel, all that's present is PPP slot 0, AOL Link, AOL Link Enhanded, and AppleTalk (MacIP). Selecting AppleTalk has finder pop up saying "TCP/IP cannot run over AppleTalk because AppleTalk is inactive"
Okay, you'll have to turn on AppleTalk then. It should let you set TCP/IP over Ethernet once you get it all setup since the iMac has an ethernet port.

The art of poor

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2009
nyc
I had to do that once with a G3 too..

what I ended up doing was calling Time warner and I told them it was a g3 & they looked it up and walked me thru a few steps and it connected

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Strange that you need to go through these steps, I recently restored a G3 using my iMac install-disk, and all I had to do was plug-in the cable and it was internet-ready =)

I suppose if you've acquired the G3 iMac from someone else perhaps some of their settings are lingering? If you got the restore/install disk(s) with it then you may want to consider writing a fresh-install at this stage assuming you haven't done much with it yet.

Also, I installed iCab on the G3, as it seemed it to be a more recent/compliant browser than Mozilla/Netscape?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.