Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccartola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Well, I have acquired a SSD Vertex 3 for my mini mid-2011 Lion OS. I have enabled TRIM compatibility, but I am unable to enable noatime with the .plist in /Library/LaunchDaemons file.

Is it necessary to enable it (noatime), with Lion or is not?

My com.noatime.root.plist is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>com.noatime.root</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>mount</string>
<string>-uwo</string>
<string>noatime</string>
<string>/</string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

But it doesn't work. I also gave root permises with:

sudo chown root:wheel /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.noatime.root.plist

but when I writed: mount | grep " / "

only appears: /dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled), as you see, it doesn't appear noatime.

Any ideas, please? Thank you in advance.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
just tried it on mine (iMac 2011, OS X 10.7.2, SSD)- works ok.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
        <key>Label</key>
        <string>com.noatime.root</string>
        <key>ProgramArguments</key>
        <array>
            <string>mount</string>
            <string>-uwo</string>
            <string>noatime</string>
            <string>/</string>
        </array>
        <key>RunAtLoad</key>
        <true/>
    </dict>
</plist>

and result (after a reboot)

Code:
root# mount | grep " / "
/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled, noatime)

can you show the output of:
Code:
sudo ls -l /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.noatime.root.plist

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
according to documentation noatime helps with stability, it is one thing that I would not turn off in spite of the overhead

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Why would one enable TRIM under OSX using a Sandforce 2200 series controller? According to test from OWC its not necessary and dangerous. Many reviews have shown the Sandforce 2200 series controller based drives are very resilient because of garbage collection.

ccartola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Let's see:

1. I talk about "noatime", not TRIM. TRIM is not necessary and I had to unable it because appeared the beachball every little time (incompatibility???)... Since I unabled, no beachball appear.

2: I tried http://poller.se/2010/08/optimizing-mac-os-x-for-ssd-drives/, but nothing happened, no noatime active neither efficient.

3: Thank you very much costabunny, but if you see is absolutely the same than mine. I don't know why, but "noatime" in mac mini mid-2011 is not actived with it (perhaps unnecessary?, perhaps incompatible?) I really don't know, but I only get with that .plist:
/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled), as you see no "noatime" after typing in terminal:
sudo ls -l /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.noatime.root.plist

Thank you very much for all your answers, but the problem is still ********ng me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.