enable noatime

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hehe299792458, Apr 20, 2011.

1. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

I've managed to enable the noatime command for one of my drives, the Macintosh HD drive "/", but not for my data drive "/Volumes/Data". Is there anyway I could enable it for the second drive as well?

I used this command to enable noatime for the first drive:
    I have no idea how the code works, but I tried adding in "/Volumes/Data" string, but it didn't seem to do the trick.

Now, I see this:

2. mac8867 macrumors 6502

You give so little information about your config, I am going to go ahead and assume that /Volumes/Data is actually a separate drive.

Each hard drive will havea mount plist file. You successfully added the noatime option to your root drive (/). Verified with the format command I presume

Now you need to find the plist file that mounts your second drive.... a simple 'grep -r "Volumes/Data" *' run from within the /Library/LauchDaemons directory should do it.

3. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Actually, they are two partitions on the same drive. My setup is as follows:

SSD in the HDD bay, with two partition (Macintosh HD and Data). I only have this one hard disk.

4. iMackPro macrumors 6502

ill help you out by searching everywhere i can! i really like to learn about new mac stuff lol but will you do me a favor in return and tell me what the hell noatime is? ill start searching i know what im searching for!

5. D A macrumors regular

This works for me:

In the terminal write this:

Code:
    cd /usr/local/bin
    sudo nano remount_noatime

Type your password and a terminal based text editor opens.

Fill it with this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    /sbin/mount -uwo noatime /Volumes/Data

Press Ctrl+X, then y to exit.

Type this in the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/remount_noatime
    sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook /usr/local/bin/remount_noatime

Delete the plist you created for noatime for the Data volume in /Library/LaunchDaemons if you still have it.

Reboot to see changes.

6. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Thanks a lot! That worked like a charm.