Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Damiantmc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Telford, UK
Hi,

I have a new 4S and previously came from the Iphone 4

I have literally searched for hours and come up with nothing so I am presuming its not possible yet but thought I'd open it up to the most wonderful community to see if I was missing something obvious :)

I am on T-Mobile UK and have a Staff plan that gives me full tethering included in my internet. If I use a regular Sim personal hotspot works correctly, if I use my staff plan sim I get a message to contact T-Mobile to enable personal hotspot.

After a few calls to technical support basically the best solution we can come up with is to use a android phone - not really the best solution lol. This is down to a feature on the tariff which tells the iphone to remove the message is not compatible with other features on the account so essentially T-mobile enabling it is out of the question even.

All I really want to know is, what changes on the phones side of things which tells it that it can use tethering? Personal hotspot works fine on my other sim but as soon as I swap sims back the message to contact T-mobile returns, so is there any way of making the phone think it still has the correct profile to enable personal hotspot?

I know there are jailbreak apps like tetherme which enable personal hotspot but as its a 4S theres no jailbreak and if I can help it I want to avoid jailbreaking. As I say I have tethering included so have no worry about costs for data usage, just that I simply can't connect.

I really do appreciate any and all help

Regards

Damian

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
I honestly think this might not be possible. It might be that only official iPhone carriers are able to flip the switch to turn on tethering. That's one of the issues of using an iPhone on a non-Apple backed carrier. Some features may not be fully supported.

Tuck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.