Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Enable Siri on Apple TV 4K

Vlad Soare

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Hello,

I installed and configured a new Apple TV 4K, and in the course of the installation it asked me whether I wanted to use Siri or not. I selected "I don't want to use Siri", thinking that I could activate it later on.
But now the Siri option is greyed out, and I can't for the life of me find out how to enable it.
I tried to change the location, the language, to sign out from the iTunes account and to sign in again, but to no avail. I cannot get to that prompt again.
Do I get only one chance? Once I decided not to use Siri, am I not allowed to change my mind?
Do I have to reset the Apple TV to the factory settings and to set it up from scratch? Is that the only option?

Thank you.

Reactions: Donfor39

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Top google search

The language setting has to match the region setting for the region you bought your Apple TV in and it has to be a supported region and language per the above information.
[doublepost=1553960300][/doublepost]Siri is currently available on Apple TV (4th generation) in these languages and countries: English (Australia, Canada, UK, US), German (Germany), French (France), Spanish (Spain), Japanese (Japan).*
[doublepost=1553960497][/doublepost]Possibly unsupported in your country which is unfortunate.
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium (Dutch, French)
  • Brazil
  • Canada (English, French)
  • Chile
  • China mainland (Cantonese, Mandarin)
  • Denmark
  • Finland (Finnish)
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong (Cantonese)
  • India (English)
  • Ireland (English)
  • Israel (Hebrew)
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Malaysia (Malay)
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Republic of Korea
  • Russia
  • Saudi Arabia (Arabic)
  • Singapore (English)
  • South Africa (English)
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland (French, German, Italian)
  • Taiwan (Mandarin)
  • Thailand
  • Turkey
  • United Arab Emirates (Arabic)
  • UK
  • USA (English, Spanish)
[doublepost=1553960553][/doublepost]
That's the first thing I tried. The Siri option is greyed out and will not change.

Did you purchase it in Romania or was it shipped from elsewhere.

Comment

Vlad Soare

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
I purchased it in Romania and, despite the country not being officially supported, it did ask me whether I wanted to enable Siri. I don't know what would have happened if I had answered yes. Maybe it wouldn't have worked anyway, who knows...
I did, however, try to change the location to a supported country (i.e. US), as per the instructions I found on the web, but that didn't make any difference.
I guess I'll have to reset it to factory settings if all else fails. Maybe then I would get that prompt again, and this time I'll say yes. :)

Comment

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
I purchased it in Romania and, despite the country not being officially supported, it did ask me whether I wanted to enable Siri. I don't know what would have happened if I had answered yes. Maybe it wouldn't have worked anyway, who knows...
I did, however, try to change the location to a supported country (i.e. US), as per the instructions I found on the web, but that didn't make any difference.
I guess I'll have to reset it to factory settings if all else fails. Maybe then I would get that prompt again, and this time I'll say yes. :)

I don't think there is any alternative unless another forum user has more knowledge.
Hope it helps when you follow reset option.
[doublepost=1553964575][/doublepost]https://www.iphonetopics.com/apple-tv-4-siri-disabled/

Lots of options.

Comment

Vlad Soare

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Update:
I reset the Apple TV to the factory settings, after which it asked me again whether I wanted to use Siri. I said yes, but sure enough, a few seconds later it said that Siri was not supported in my country.
I logged out of the iTunes account, changed the iTunes Store location to UK, and bingo! Siri is up and running now. :D
Thank you all for your replies.

Comment

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Update:
I reset the Apple TV to the factory settings, after which it asked me again whether I wanted to use Siri. I said yes, but sure enough, a few seconds later it said that Siri was not supported in my country.
I logged out of the iTunes account, changed the iTunes Store location to UK, and bingo! Siri is up and running now. :D
Thank you all for your replies.

Well done that fantastic!

Comment

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
Possibly unsupported in your country which is unfortunate.
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium (Dutch, French)
  • Brazil
  • Canada (English, French)
  • Chile
  • China mainland (Cantonese, Mandarin)
  • Denmark
  • Finland (Finnish)
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong (Cantonese)
  • India (English)
  • Ireland (English)
  • Israel (Hebrew)
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Malaysia (Malay)
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Republic of Korea
  • Russia
  • Saudi Arabia (Arabic)
  • Singapore (English)
  • South Africa (English)
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland (French, German, Italian)
  • Taiwan (Mandarin)
  • Thailand
  • Turkey
  • United Arab Emirates (Arabic)
  • UK
  • USA (English, Spanish)

What's this (new) list?? Sure it isn't supported in Italy (I'd love to say "yet", but I'm losing hope at this point). Or is this a full list of planned Countries?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.