Enabled 2-Factor-Authentication, now ATV3 keep asking for iTunes password

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by BeatCrazy, Sep 25, 2016.

1. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

Title says it all, this is very frustrating.

I can put in my pw, but then a few minutes later, I'm prompted again. Of course I'm getting my 6-digit code on my iPhone, but I don't see anywhere to put it into ATV3.

2. nevets007 macrumors newbie

Have you updated the Apple TV software to the latest version?

3. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes.

After some trouble-shooting, it appears you need to sign out of iCloud (not just iTunes), then after logging in, you'll be presented with a screen to enter the 6 digit verification code. So far it's working, but I guess we'll have to see if it kicks me out again.

4. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 65816

Bad news, the steps I did above do not last. After a few minutes, I'm prompted to sign into iTunes on the ATV3.

5. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You have to generate a new 6 digit verification code on a trusted device and then add it to the end of your usual iCloud/iTunes password. I've not had any prompts to keep signing back in on my ATV3 after doing that.

6. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 65816

It seems like there is no way for the 6-digit code to be generated without/before you enter your password. So, no way to append to your password

7. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

There is
    There is. I went into the iCloud settings on my iPhone and on the Password & Security screen I generated the verification code while the password prompt was up on my screen on my ATV3. I just typed it in (appended to the end of my iCloud password) and it worked.

8. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 65816

Good tip, but did not work.

9. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Hmm, I'm not sure what to say really. I have 2 older 3rd gen Apple TVs and after doing that just once on both, I haven't been prompted again and it's been almost 2 weeks since I set that up. You might contact Apple support to walk you through it over the phone or something.