Enabled Trim in Lion with my Agility 3, when do the speeds improve?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djrobsd, Oct 18, 2011.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I read something about after enabling trim, the system does its magic when sitting powered on and idle over night... At least with Windows systems, but is that the same for LION when you enable TRIM?

I'm new to this whole SSD thing. My Agility 3 in my 15 inch 2011 MBP has been flawless, but I wanted to show off the performance graphs to a coworker and I was STUNNED to see my read performance dropped to 100-170mbps in the DiskSpeedTest app, and write is under 100 (around 90-100mbps).

When I first had the drive, I was running around 300-400 on both sides of the house.. Personally, I haven't noticed much of a slow down in speed, this is the fastest computer I ever owned, and even with a mechanical drive, I would probably still be saying that, the i7 Macbook Pros are just amazing.

However, I'd like to know when I'm converting video in Handbrake, or saving a 4 hour DJ mix as a WAV file (about 3 gigs) that I'm getting the best performance.

Anyway, I'm rambling now... Do I need to do anything after turning TRIM on to get it to re-condition my hard drive back to normal speeds?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because the Agility 3 uses a Sandforce controller, you may not see the performance gains you were hoping. TRIM really shines when the drive does not have built in garbage collection.

Sandforce based SSDs became really popular for Macs because OSX did not (and to an extent still does not) support TRIM. So you have the OS notifying the drive that something is deleted and can be fully erased and the garbage collection process trying the same thing.

Disable TRIM and let the controller handle it.

3. abdu2s macrumors newbie

Black magic disk test doesn't work well with lion i guess.

I have a kingston hyperx SSD , i get a 90Mb/s write results with that app. with all other benchmark test , i easily get 450-500 Write and read

Try AJA system test

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Even if your drive was completely jacked up because of no TRIM, it would only ever impact the write speeds. Absence of TRIM has nothing to do with read speeds.

5. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Abdu how do you get AJA to work with Lion? Mine won't do anything since upgrading to Lion. BTW, no I'm not going to give everyone read and write permissions to my root folder. ;)

Sounds to me like I may NOT be having any performance issues, rather the software I was using to test them doesn't work properly with Lion. Hopefully there will be updates soon...