Enabling 4 cores in Fusion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KD7IWP, Apr 28, 2009.

1. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I just switched from a Macbook Pro to a Quad core nehalem Mac Pro and would like to upgrade my existing Windows VM in Fusion to have 4 virtual cores. However, the latest version of Fusion is still only giving me the option of 1 or 2 cpu's. Anyone know how I can get it to allow me to use 4? (ps, I did some searching already and haven't found any answers, sorry)

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Do you only have a single quad-core chip? If so, you can't enable 4 virtual cores in the VM. That option is only available for dual quad-core machines (8-core machiens). At least that's the impression I get from reading the info on VMware's page.

3. KD7IWP thread starter macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Thank you so much for the info. That does however surprise me, because with my dual core Macbook Pro I was able to select 2 virtual CPU's... And since my Mac Pro has hyperthreading, the system does think I have 8 CPU's. But I'll definitely read VMWare's data more closely on it now.

4. KD7IWP thread starter macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Answer

Looks like Microsoft licenses Windows XP Pro for only 2 physical CPU's. Fusion tells Windows that each processor core is a physical CPU, and therefore you can only select 2 virtual CPU's. If I want to select 4, I would need Windows server which is licensed for multiple CPU's. Alternatively, VMWare may come out with an update later that tells Windows each of my cores is actually a core and not a physical CPU.

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

That actually makes a lot more sense, the licensing thing. I must've just been interpreting what I read wrong (I do that quite frequently, lol).