enabling ahci in win 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by eeric, Dec 16, 2011.

1. eeric macrumors newbie

hi all,

I have a 2008 Mac Pro with an Intel 320 SSD running only windows 7 (without Boot Camp and no OS X installed). The drive is working but I'm getting pretty bad benchmarks which I believe is due to the drive using IDE instead of AHCI. Therefor I'd like to change from IDE to AHCI.

From the guides I've read about changing to AHCI, the way to do it is via BIOS, which I don't have since I'm running a Mac Pro (not really sure if I'm right about this but I haven't been able to enter BIOS at least).

So, here's my question. Is it possible for me to enable AHCI without entering OS X or BIOS? If so, how?

I got a ATI Radeon 5770 PC card so another alternative to this would maybe be to flash this card so it works in OS X aswell. That seems like a pretty complicated process though so I'd rather avoid that if possible.

really greatful for help!

regards,
    eric

2. MJL macrumors 6502a

search through my old postings, there is a change you need to do in both registry and you need to make a change to a bootfile using OS X. I have not noticed much difference in real life and actually someone else and myself are suspicious of instability. Using it will be a pain in the proverbial place if you need to do a restore.

Are you using the Intel toolbox and have you set it up to run once a week?

AHCI is only required to use NCQ. TRIM works fine without it (it is a native ATA command) . Some SSD (e.g. the Toshiba) do not use NCQ since there is suspicion that on a SSD NCQ may lead to instability as well. Besides it is not really necessary.

3. eeric thread starter macrumors newbie

you mean changing the msahci value to 0 in the registry?

I'm not able to boot into OS X so I can't change the bootfile that way. I guess changing the registry won't help me anything then, right?

thanks for the tip about intel toolbox, got it set up to run once a week now.

any other way around this?