Enabling AHCI on 2011 Mac mini

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MJL, Oct 27, 2011.

1. MJL macrumors 6502a

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...ing-AHCI-for-Windows-on-MBP-2011-now-possible

I've just done this on the 2011 Mac mini i5-2520M with the 5400 rpm HDD. A couple of remarks: you do not need the Iastor (only IastorV and msahci) and I downloaded the patchedcode.bin on an external HDD (running Snow Leopard but no reason why it will not work with Lion, it was just that it was available) and you'll need to give the commands under super user (e.g. root). No need to copy the file first onto some other place - I used the dd command directly in the download folder on the external drive. (cannot be done from the internal drive that's being patched).

I did notice a data throughput speed up in my application but the WEI does not show a change.

(never got the 2010 MAc mini into AHCI mode)

2. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I followed these instructions on 3 different 2011 Mac Mini with OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOP SSDs. My Windows Experience index jumped to 7.8 - 7.9 range from high 6s. Very impressive results.

3. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Can the hard drives still be put to sleep? I know the system itself can not sleep.

4. MJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't know - I keep them running all the time - required for my software.

5. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Confirmed. You can put the hard drives and SSDs to sleep --i.e. set Power Option, Turn Off Hard Disk can be set to a time interval.