Enabling AirPrint in Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by benhollberg, Nov 27, 2010.

1. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Since AirPrint is only working for select printers right now, it doesn't work for many people. I have heard of ways to workaround this.

First I have heard of adding certain files into the Mac's file system, I hear this is tricky and doesn't work for everyone. Another way I have heard is through applications such as Printopia. I know there are other applications that are free but I have heard some bad things, also I don't want to pay $10 for Printopia.

If anyone has any experience with any of these methods, or other methods not mentioned, for enabling AirPrint please reply.

2. fhall1, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

3. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Yep...just followed the directions on the web site....they show screen caps and everything.

5. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Thanks I'll give it a try.

6. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

7. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

sooo using the hack, is your printer suppose to show in preference?

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

All you'll need to do is enable hacktivator, reboot, delete your printers (minus button) and re-add them. Make sure printer sharing is enabled and you'll be good to go. Note that this only works on 10.6.5 (latest).

I've also used Printopia and it works great even on 10.5. Printopia has some advantages. It can make a PDF and put it in your dropbox.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Essential tip up there ... delete the printer and re-add. I failed to read this part and struggled. It took about 15 minutes to figure out when it should have taken 30 seconds.

10. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I followed each step but don't know if my Mac is even picking up the printer. I see printer by the name of Adobe PDF 9.0 but nothing that says Canon PIXMA M495...

11. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

maybe I should be a little clearer. The printer I'm trying to print from wirelessly is a new printer. I have not installed anything on the mac that came with the printer. The printer is on but I thought that my machine would pick it up without installing anything.

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not in every case. If it's not showing in your printer list in System Preferences, just hit the plus button at the bottom of the list to add it. If you've already done the AirPrint hacktivation, then you'll be all set.

jW

13. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

What Mal said......if your printer isn't showing up on your Mac, it's not going to hacktivate.

14. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I totally forgot about this and now I need to be able to print from an iPad. The link from the hacktivator doesn't work now I guess. So does anybody know another way that is free. I could pay but if there is a free option I'd rather not.

15. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Try here: http://netputing.com/airprintactivator/

16. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

17. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I am going to ask one more question in this thread, and I know it was made for Mac OS X.

I got my friend an iPad 2 and he wants to be able to print from his iPad. He has an HP printer which is relatively new and was surprised to find out it didn't have AirPrint. He uses Windows 7, and I don't believe the previously said application works for Windows. Any suggestions would help, thanks.