Enabling / Disabling Airplane Mode Bricks phone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ironman888, Aug 26, 2008.

1. ironman888 macrumors newbie

This is getting ridiculous... Along with the hundreds of other bugs the iPhone 3G has, I have just discovered yet another one with my 2nd replacement iPhone (waiting for 3rd replacement)

Has anyone else experienced this? I put my phone into airplane mode and as soon as I do so, it kicks me out to the "please connect phone to iTunes".

I connect it to iTunes, I get an error from iTunes saying "We're sorry, there is a problem with your iPhone, please visit your nearest apple dealer". If I hard reset the phone, hook it up to iTunes again, it shows yet another error of "different SIM card detected" (which is in fact the new sim card that came with my replacement iPhone - so it's not really a "new Sim Card"). After yet ANOTHER hard reset while it's connected to iTunes, it mysteriously works again...

I can replicate the problem everytime - just stick it in airplane mode and the phone displays this crazy behaviour...

hoping my NEXT replacement fares better.... (this is all with ver 2.0.2 firmware)

ok, so as Warbrain has pointed out - in AppleSpeak - it's not "fully bricked" - but as far as I'm concerned, if it becomes completely unusable as soon as put it into airplane mode (reverts to the "please connect to itunes" screen) while sitting on an airplane so the device is completely useless for the duration of the flight - to ME, that is as good as being bricked. I've tried hooking it up to itunes again only to find that it won't activate anymore - I get that "we're sorry... there is a problem with your iPhone" message.

** I did receive my replacement today - and guess what, the screen has a giant pressure blotch on it - as if you're pressing on the screen. The device isn't even ON, it has this 1 inch long blotch in the middle of the screen - and when turning it on - lo and behold! another dead pixel!!! Like I said before, this is getting ridiculous.

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Just so you don't get chewed to shreds - that's not a bricked phone.