Enabling Find My iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Eldiablojoe, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I'm not sure how to enable this. Walk through?

2. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

3. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

4. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Just FYI, if you have other iDevices that you upgraded and they can be tracked using the free Find My iThing feature, be sure to add & activate your iPad first in order to be allowed to add the others. I have iPad, iPhone 3Gs and iPod Touch 2nd Gen. The order of first adding iPad matters; otherwise, the additional iDevices will get an error message.

5. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

yea it needs to first be enabled on an iPad or iphone 4 than other devices can be added.

6. JulianL macrumors 65816

A few question on how it works.

1) I keep location services switched off to maximise battery life. Does that matter? I'm guessing/hoping that it's not an issue and that the FindMe functionality is baked deep into iOS so it can silently enable location services when it needs to.

2) Is there any negative effect on battery life? Does the FindMe service stay completely inactive on the device until the owner asks for the position at which point it is sent an invisible SMS or some other signal over the cell network which then kicks it into action and, once it's done what is asked, it then goes to sleep again?

- Julian

7. robertpetry, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

Anyone else having a problem getting their account "Verified?" I have verified it via my email address over the web and me.com says I am verified. However, on both my iPhone and iPad the new Mobile me account says "Not Verified" and I can not turn any options on.

I have tried deleting and recreating the accounts, rebooting and turning push on and off. No dice.

It has been like this for 3 days. Anyone else have and fix this by now?

UPDATE: Never mind. It just updated. So if you are having this problem, the system is slow right now. :)

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Find my iPhone does need location services to be on to work. But having location services on doesn't drain the battery at all since they're only active when you actually need them.