Enabling 'Find my Mac'

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by dan92w, Oct 25, 2013.

1. dan92w macrumors newbie

dan92w

Hi all, looking for help with enabling 'Find my Mac' within iCloud prefs. The tick box is blank and greyed out. A button labelled 'more' informs me that it needs a recovery partition to work, and that my configuration - a software or hardware RAID - won't allow creation of a recovery partition. To my knowledge, though, my hard drive's formatting is perfectly normal: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) on a 128GB SSD.

Can anyone give me a tip to fix this and enable Find My Mac on iCloud?

2. theBostonian Suspended

I logged in just to help you, otherwise I loathe the mods here so refuse to participate but I was in the same position as you.

If you follow the instructions here closely you'll be able to create a recovery partition without having to reinstall Mavericks. It worked flawlessly for me.

The person who wrote it knows his stuff!

Once you follow that post you'll be able to enable find my mac straight away, in addition to enabling FileVault 2.

Good luck.

3. dan92w thread starter macrumors newbie

dan92w

Thanks for the link! It looks pretty involved though - is there no easier way to sort this out? If not, do you know a way to get around the step of re-downloading Lion/ML/Mavericks? I'd really rather not download the whole 4 gigs or so again!

4. dan92w thread starter macrumors newbie

dan92w

Looks like I'm not the only one having this problem in Mavericks - seems like the situation's arisen due to me having installed from a bootable hard drive. This thread really helped me:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/21785651#21785651

And a link to the site below gave me a shell script to run:

http://musings.silvertooth.us/2012/03/restoring-a-lost-recovery-partition-in-lion/

I'm going through the process now (backing up first) and I'll post how it goes in case anyone else with the problem clicks on the thread.

5. dan92w thread starter macrumors newbie

dan92w