Enabling 'iCloud Photo Library Beta'

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by maka344, Oct 12, 2014.

1. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

I finally managed to enable this feature (after being told they are adding users daily), I was informed that my Mac synced albums would be removed. Once enabled, I copied a few pictures to my iCloud Drive on my Mac however, the pictures don't show up anywhere in my Gallery on my iPhone but show via iCloud.com

Am I doing something wrong?

2. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

Right, not entirely sure if I'm correct here but I believe that iCloud Photo Library is not available for Mac-iOS Sync until Apple releases 'Photo's for Mac' in Early 2015. This really does leave it a pretty broken system as it now means that you can't access your photo's on your Mac. I seem to recall a rumour a little while ago that Apple may be working on a iCloud Photo's for iCloud.com due to show assets showing up in iCloud, however, this hasn't been reported on for a number of weeks now. I'm hoping that Apple will announce 'iCloud Photo's for Mac Beta' next week, with a version on iCloud.com for everyone else to use. However, I know this could be wishful thinking!'.

3. maka344 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maka344

Thanks - this makes sense.

My 'Manage Storage' is showing 3.3GB's of photos and videos yet I cannot see this in my iCloud drive folder or via iCloud.com

Guess it's beta for a reason.

4. Planey28 macrumors 6502

This is the way it works - iCloud Drive and icloud photo library are seperate. Photos and videos in your iCloud Drive are not part of your photo library and as such will not show up in the photos app.

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I think they will add Photos to iCloud.com with Yosemite's launch so you'll be able to use that to upload pictures from your computer.

6. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I enabled it on ONE device (iPod5) and it ate 99% of my photos on ALL devices including on my MacbookAir running Mavericks. They were no where to be found and I looked all over. Then two weeks later 98% of them slowly reappeared over the course of a day. 1% are still MIA. Who knows...

Good luck out there. :cool:

7. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

..you're lucky you even have this feature!!!

I STILL don't see this option on my iPhone 6, iPad 2 nor on my wife's iPhone 5 - all on iOS 8.0.2 (we are in the UK - if that makes a difference!!)
    :(

8. s.golod macrumors newbie

s.golod

You can update (if you have a dev.account) to iOS 8.1beta and this option will be enabled.

9. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I have this feature and have it enabled. I'm using the standard release of iOS 8

10. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

I'm also in the UK and I get the option. However, when I go to enable it, it tells me that iCloud Photo Library is in Beta and they are adding new users daily. I think I'll wait until the launch of OS X Yosemite to enable it.

11. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

...perhaps in depends then, on which area you live - I'm in the South London area but still don't get these options!!

12. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

In Scotland at the moment. But I don't think it depends on where you are in the UK. Give it until Thursday night and I'm sure iCloud Photo library will be available for all.

13. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'm in the south of the UK and i'm sure that doesn't matter but I have this feature enabled.

Funnily enough I didn't enable it in settings, it actually popped up when I was in the photos app asking me if I wanted to enable it.